Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

"So how much do you want for it?"

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by wonder_lander, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Well-Known Member

I'm interested to hear how you guys deal with the response above when you've sent out a "This domain is for sale and we are taking offers" type e-mail.

In you initial e-mail have you set the expectation that we'll be accepting offers over £x or between £x and £xx?

It's evidently a delicate balance between scaring them off and getting as much money for the domain as possible!

If you go back and say we're looking for £2500 then buyer may have got a bargain as they would have paid more!

How do you put the ball back in their court for them to offer you what they think it's worth?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

As a buyer, nothing is more frustrating than someone refusing to put a price on a product because they don't want to lose out if you would have offered more than it's worth.

As a seller, my feeling is that you have to man-up and put a price with a bit of wiggle-room on it.

If you frighten them off, you can always go back in a months time to say "not sold, price reduced to ..".

But, if they're a confident buyer with a serious stake in the name they'll make an offer anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

You should have a price in your head that you are happy to sell the domain for.

However much (or little) you value that domain at is THE price you should reply with.

If you think you could have got more money on completion of sale is irrelevant. You got what you valued the domain at.

• Like Like x 1
  5. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

+1

• Like Like x 1
  6. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Does it make a difference on the value of the domain? If you think the domain is worth between 10k - 15k where do you pitch it? Obviously there is no exact science in valuing a domain so there is always going to be a finger in the air judgement on the value.

Most of the time my opening e-mail has a fixed price in to try and complete a sale as quickly as possible but on some high value domains I think it's slightly more difficult.

7. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Use the words 'guide price' if you expect to be haggled. For a set price use BIN.

• Like Like x 1
  8. martin-s United Kingdom

Premium domains definitely do have more wiggle room. But if you compare it to the property world, the only time an "offers over" price works is when there is real competition to buy.

Otherwise any sane person just sees a low price you're happy to accept.

9. martin-s United Kingdom

P.S. I never put a price in my opening emails anymore. I'm getting somewhere between 2 and 3 times better results by leaving the price until I have caught their interest.

(8 names sold this month so far, at an average of just under £400)

10. AuthorityDomain United States

AuthorityDomain Active Member

That's a good achievement. Have you been domaining long?

I never use a price in my opening e-mail. Sometimes I may put this domain is for sale and a discounted price or something like that. Depends on the domain.

Regarding the end user asking for a price, I've had this quite a lot with mixed results. Sometimes I'll say If you are interested then please make an offer, this gets rid of most lowball tyrekickers. Sometimes I will give them a range.

11. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Can I ask what your rough e-mail to reply ratio is?

12. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I normally try to put a bit of background work into identifying the source of the enquiry and how the "possible buyer" perceives the value of the domain. I don't let it effect my value of the domain. (I try to keep that completely separate and usually I can - unless it's blatantly obvious their bitting at the bit to get the domain ie just registered the .net .org etc)

I find it helps to associate my response with their own perception really just reinforcing their judgement. I know you could call it "mind games" But it does help cement my logic behind my valuation, it does work. or it certainly appears to. certainly if they have come in with a low-ball offer to start with.

Obviously I don't put that effort in if it's a low-value domain.

*my apologies - I miss read the question but, i'll leave it up because I would use the same logic in sending out cold call emails to prospective buyers

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  13. martin-s United Kingdom

Depends on the name of course, but the average is probably 1 in 10 or so.

Been buying names for a while, but only started selling them this summer.

14. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

This is a good post, sobriety suits you.

15. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

As for pricing,

1, What would it realistically cost me to replace in the open market. (not that I intend to)
    2. How many potential users are there that might see the value in the domain
    3. how many other extensions are web-sites. NOT just held by domainers
    4. What is the average advertising spend of the business in that sector
    5. how much do they rely on the Internet as a gateway to their business.

Are probably just a few questions you shold be asking yourself

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  16. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Thanks I diid enjoy a couple of glasses of wine last night. But that makes a nice change from a whole bottle of vodka..;)

17. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Better names sell themselves? The rest you have to work at if they approach its easier but to get the max its always research, Same approaching them more you do the better look at previous sales not just tld but other countries cctlds, trends, there competition and own sites? turnover, expansion plans, there blogs, about us pages there contacts linkerdin, who to contact, companies house, what it brings to them etc(they don't have to devlope just stop there compertition getting it sort of sales can be just as good ? ) Find out as much as you can this often takes time and sometimes hard cash ? They could be thick with deep pockets, smart with shallow ones, some flattery, ego stroking, pissing against the wall its really is a mix of prostitute and pimp…

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  18. eddieb United Kingdom

eddieb Active Member

I find that if I stick even a simple Wordpress site on the domain before approaching end users it increases my sales %age. Maybe they think they are buying out a competitor, maybe the site just gives them an idea (for instance leave the Wordpress site up and send links to their main site from it)

19. noonoo1

noonoo1 Retired Member

I keep it simple.

'I'm selling the domain name acorn.com

If you interested in acquiring this name the please contact me.

Kind regards

Etc,etc'

I have found the most productive time to send this type of email is on a Tuesday between 6pm-10pm bizzarely.

More often than not I get a reply from the boss of the company and its on their mobile email.
    I believe the reason for this is that during the day the secretary might filter out their email but in the evenings the boss pick's up their emails on their mobiles.

Just my opinions.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  20. wonder_lander United Kingdom

Cheers for everyone's input, it's been a good discussion.

In the case of contacting end users in the first place do you use an e-mail address associated with the domain you're selling or another generic e-mail address?

Personally I've been using a generic e-mail account but wonder if there is a benefit to using either: nameofdomainforsale@genericname.co.uk or forsale@nameofdomainforsale.co.uk

21. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think you want to come across as too 'Contrived' in your approach, Professional, yes.

I certainly wouldn't use the word 'Sale' or any other word that indicates a less than business like approach.

Use a business like email address, one that looks like (and is) your regular business contact, Even if you end up paying for it. Nobody likes dealing with a 'Fly-by-night' here today gone tomorrow type. I personally use BT's business services (including email) for that benefit amongst others

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.