Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

spam origination

Discussion in 'General Board' started by kostas, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kostas

kostas Member

I own quite a few .uk domains set up with 123 Reg web and email redirection.
    Occasionally I get loads of 'undeliverable mail' as if someone has used my email address and sent out loads of spam.
    Is there any way of tracing the originator's real email address as it looks bad on me that emails are coming from an address I own but have never used?!
    I've even set up 'reject' in 123 and still get these 'bounced' messages.
    Any help in tracing the 'a**eholes' would be gratefully received.
    Kostas

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There is a virus that makes it look likes emails are sent from your address when in fact they aren't. Scan your PC anyway with the usual tools for zapping spyware.

If you open an email in Outlook and look at the email headers it will show you the sender's IP address but to be honest this stuff is a fact of life online so just delete it.

Replying to spam will just mean you get more as they know your email address is live.

3. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

It doesn't solve the problem, but to avoid the inconvenience of getting a load of guff in your inbox, you could configure the email settings for the domain/s so that they only accept emails to [email protected] (and so they bounce everything else). I assume you can do that with 123 Reg.

4. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

The email headers will be faked and the mail will have been bounced round several blind relay servers before reaching you making it v hard to track them down.

grant

5. domaingenius

domaingenius Well-Known Member

Get yourself something like mailwasher at
    http://www.mailwasher.co.uk and that will
    bounce the mail back to the spammers from
    your isp servers,

DG

6. kostas

kostas Member

Thanks gents for your replies...Now have a better understanding and appreciate your help.
    Kind regards.
    Kostas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.