Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Spat out my tea!

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by Alien, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Never fails to amaze me.....lol. :eek:

Just offered someone £500 for a .co.uk - they want £40K+. It's good, but not that good, lol!

Hey ho, back to the drawing board. :p

2. MASSEY

MASSEY Active Member

No good if you do not mention the name ;)

3. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Funny enough i've just responded with a 10 x multiplier to a 5k offer - it's all good fun eh.

Next time sip your tea when opening emails

4. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Nope - bad form without the owners consent

5. MASSEY

MASSEY Active Member

I guess ;)

6. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

LOL@Bailey!

Nope, sorry, can't mention the name. ;)

7. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

I have to add (just for a laugh) that valuate/estibot reckon it's worth just $800

8. paulleahy United Kingdom

paulleahy Active Member

Alien you probably took the piss with your offer so they also did good luck to them 8)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  9. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

Why? A price is a price isn't it?

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Some people (not me) believe that the quoted price should vary based on "sizing up the enquirer's wallet" i.e. a custom price gets quoted based on what they believe the enquirer's able to pay. So that would be one valid reason why someone might not want their price quoted publicly (another might be because it's generally bad form to quote private email conversations).

11. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Indeed it's a private Issue - wrong to add some personal spin here though. IMHO

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  12. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

And let it get indexed - (By the poster)

At this moment -We don't know the domain is being advertised for sale - do we ? And "make offer" on a domain to my mind is a fair invite (even though it's not not one i'd use outside of Acorn and DL) Nevertheless it shouldn't require a public (possibly indexed) justification

13. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Indeed, agreed there - very bad form to quote a conversation. I just wanted to post my surprise at the min. price expectation I received back. ;)

14. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Alien - without doubt your a Gentleman - Edwins model is based on his Significant holding/porfolio. but, he's wrong to use it as a yardstick for everyone else. IMHO.

Horses for Courses

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  15. rob

rob Founding Member

I could be very wrong - however I would imagine that if you offer £500 as an opening offer for it, you may see it as a 1000-2000 name?

If so, and you went to 1000 they may counter 20k , then 10k and the like. Still possibly well over budget however from 40k to negotiating in the 4 figs range is a big difference.

Lowball offers do 'say' something , and a seller can either feedback via price or message but generally its a 'dont waste my time'.

All the above is assuming its a decent name and the buyer is not being a clown!

16. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

Over time, I have come to the mind that you should value every name based on what it should be worth to the best possible buyer. The 'best possible buyer' will be the company who could best utilise it, and have the funds to bring the most out of the domain and of course to pay for it in the first place.

For each name you should have an idea who the best buyer(s) would be.

From there, your negotiations will have to reflect your own needs from the name too.

Unfortunately, that last bit currently plays too big a part in my negotiations at present! ;-)

17. cc976a United Kingdom

cc976a Well-Known Member

Doesn't this just add fuel to the fire though if these things are so secret they have to go in behind closed doors. I don't think it helps the domain industry.

We wouldn't hide the price of most other products and services.

If the seller - who apparently has posted his domain name up for sale - who has someone who has asked for a price and got £40k, unless (a) this isn't the price or (b) was adjusting the price based on apparent purse strings - wouldn't care who was sharing or who indexed what.

I know domains are 'different' but surely this non-openness and private secret emails that can't possibly be shared just cause mystery and doubt to a wider Market we are all trying to convince to 'understand' this better and embrace the power of the domain

Just an observation :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.