Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

sports domain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure I go in for appraisals either.

If I want a domain and im happy to pay £25k for it, then I dont give two hoots if someone else tells me its overpriced. As long as im not looking to resell it, then if im happy with what im paying and the seller is happy at what he is receiving, then what does it matter what someone elses opinion is?

If a seller wants £10k for a domain but I -dont- want to pay it, how can an appraisal by a 3rd party change their mind?

You implied that prior to selling a name you always got a third parties appraisal, I said that this was a fair point in the context of the discussion which greedy sellers holding people to ransom. I would still agree that this is a fair way of selling a name but again it does not prove any value to a buyer as tool to hold against a seller.

I said any deal over 5k (two years ago) I would pay for appraisal, both ways. Buying and selling or brokering this provides third party thoughts on the value & price itself.

Im not sure I go in for appraisals either.

If I want a domain and im happy to pay £25k for it, then I dont give two hoots if someone else tells me its overpriced. As long as im not looking to resell it, then if im happy with what im paying and the seller is happy at what he is receiving, then what does it matter what someone elses opinion is?

If a seller wants £10k for a domain but I -dont- want to pay it, how can an appraisal by a 3rd party change their mind?

what if you are investing and will want to resell it? ;)

That is a fair enough view and very much the way I treat things myself, however there are entities out there that are clueless about values. Ask any domainer how many £50 offers they get on quality domains and it will be a large number, that is lack of awareness. To the people offering £50 for a £5 (in their eyes) domain, it is a very good offer!

It works both ways - the original poster has a domain they want, knows the rough asking price and thinks its reasonable but still wants a second opinion!

I know to many in the domaining world this may seem alien - but not everyone knows about domaining!

As for bringing the prices down, if you take art work, property, cars etc to 'experts' then everyone has a different opinion. They may uncover service issues, cracks or structural defects that can then be brought into play on a negotiation.

If you believe negotiation is simply offering a wad of cash and getting a yes or no then we are talking about different things :(

what if you are investing and will want to resell it? ;)

Different ball game altogether. :)

If you believe negotiation is simply offering a wad of cash and getting a yes or no then we are talking about different things :(

Thats pretty much it. A domain is not a physical asset as such and is not liable to depreciate, with the exception of the entry of new TLDs.

A seller will take my cash or not. Me spouting a lot of flannel about why its not worth as much as he/she thinks is not going to make them change their mind. If I was the buyer in that situation it would make me stick to my guns.

Different ball game altogether. :)

It is indeed - but still an area that requires a ball ;)

Me spouting a lot of flannel about why its not worth as much as he/she thinks is not going to make them change their mind.

Again it comes down to knowing about domains and the like - or not as the case may be! I have known owners of .co.uk names to quote the dnjournal .com price and want the same - explaining the uk market and having hard solid data on comparable word.com v word.co.uk prices helps out in a postive way.

I totally agree that 'flannel' does not guarantee success, but it certainly can help out.

I really cannot stress enough to people not to just chuck an offer at someone out of the blue, information works both ways, it is not unknown for a deal to have added value by things that talks uncover :)

rob said:
I said any deal over 5k (two years ago) I would pay for appraisal, both ways. Buying and selling or brokering this provides third party thoughts on the value & price itself.

You're making this up as you're going along!

Wow - making it up eh? :)

http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/general-board/13616-buy-your-snake-oil-here-5.html#post56763 is the two posts, read for yourself.

Which bit is 'made up' ? as I said, To be fair any deal over £5k I have been involved in I have paid for an appraisal as it is a data based industry and you need all the information out there

A deal can be both buying or selling. The figures might have changed over two years, but for big deals I still pay third parties for their views in all deals, and for the thickos at the back, that means buying selling and brokering.

Feel free to apologise :roll:

Incidently looking at that 2007 thread there is a classic:

365 said: .co.uk isn't performing well either sales wise or traffic wise
I said: From my own observations (my own purchases/sales plus clients I broker / acquire for) domain values in .uk are going up in price and this is to end users and other domainers.

Out of interest do you still think the market was 'f*cked' for 2007 / 2008 and prices did not increase?

I have been in deals as a buyer where I used domainprices and also comparable sales in the same genre that I know of which are some not public to make considerable changes to the sellers original asking price and this worked to my benefit bringing a price down by 50% - is that not Rob's point in that he will find out that info for a fee to cover his time, presented as a valuation?

Of course sometimes a seller wants x and that's rock solid; and no valuation is going to help you - only the depth of your pockets, but if you are going to get movement on price you need to give a case or argument and in that position you need all the ammunition you can get.

There are many different types of sellers, many won't give a price, not because they can't or don't know how to value it, they want as much as possible for their asset naturally and if someone wants to overvalue or pay over the asking price by making a first offer in excess of the sellers valuation then it's a bumper payday, it's not black and white.

I bought ally for about £370 and when someone wanted to buy it I said make a reasonable offer and I will give it due consideration, I knew I would accept £1000 for it, the buyer came back and offered $10,000 which I accepted, I feel if the buyer had a valuation done he may have offered a lot less and I would still have accepted it. Buyer may not care and got it for a price he was happy to pay, just that a more informed decision may have left more money in his pocket so from a buyers perspective it can be a good investment. I don't think you can argue one way or another in blanket terms, if however you are not clued up on domain pricing and you are a buyer and were talking in the tens of thousands I'd say it was a very good investment to get an appraisal or two, unless money was no object.

Rob, if you want to go back nearly two years looking for things to tear me down with you should find a thread that's at least written in the same context, the one you quote me from was a discussion about sellers holding people to ransom and my reply to you was in the context of you as a seller. Taking one post from a seven or eight page discussion and using it out of context isn't adding credibility to your argument.

Not at all, it gives a good indication of your position on domains and where you are coming from. That thread was all about buying & valuation of domains - perhaps its worth a re-read all the way through.

The whole point of that thread was you believe a seller asking what they believe is a fair price for a domain is 'holding people to ransom'. Couple that with your belief there is no way of putting a value on a domain (even a ballpark figure) yet thinking your offers are 'fair' paints a very blinkered view point. Your view or the highway etc...

Incidentally, as you believe so much in the power of the appraisal perhaps you could post a link to the company that you use, that way Turbo would have the benefit of a choice.

I am in contact (unpaid) with 'turbo'. Hopefully the outcome is he saves a few quid.

Ah, the bit where it gets personal and you attempt to discredit me ...

Your point is what? The economy was bouncing along nicely back then, today it's f*cked, so things change. Have domain sales increased to any great extent other than headline sales, well they couldn't get any worse so there's a good chance. Whilst far from definitive, the best publicly facing data (domainsales.co.uk) shows over 1,800 sales ( Jan 2006 - October 2008 ) with a total value of £4.4 Million which is what a successful small business could turnover in a year so people will have to decide for themselves if that's exciting for a whole 'industry'?

It is not really attempts to discredit, you basically posted utter rubbish :) I would say domain sales have increased in price and in volume since 2006 based on data I have, and as you show on the far from definitive domainprices.co.uk (not domainsales.co.uk) there is an increase.

My point was simple, back then you said domains were 'fu*ked' and say the same today it seems. I cannot predicte the future, but as this is all about basis and opinions I would like to think I was proved right :)

All about the basis and foundation of peoples opinions so it is quite relevant really IMHO.

I watched you go on a public facing affiliate forum in September and point a business towards the Nominet DRS facility in order for them to try and get a generic name from a fellow 'domainer' so you'll forgive me for seeing you as nothing more than a cuckoo in the nest and certainly not someone who I would want to recommend as impartial and professional.

Not sure what that has to do with this thread... but happy to discuss it!

That was an interesting case, the domainer in question was Lee Owen (banned on acorn and a4u) who I believe had previously had a run in with the company in question. A two word domain that matched their company name dropped and he approached them to sell it. The thread is over here if people want to read : childrensroom.co.uk - Affiliate Marketing

As I said in thread, 'direct marketing' of such names can be seen as abusive in the Nominet policy - very fine lines and any DRS challenge would have won in my opinion. Oddly enough the domain was priced at £500, nicely below the cost of a full DRS.

I am not saying the DRS is perfect (read my consulation response) , but in the context of the above it is abusive. This is exactly the situation you yourself refer to in your DRS consultation response: http://www.nominet.org.uk/digitalAssets/20682_Sean_Warburton_OS.pdf

You said:A clear distinction should be made between approaching and offering to sell a domain to a company or individual with a legitimate claim or right to that name and approaching a company or individual that the seller believes to have an interest in purchasing for commercial reasons. As an example, approaching Ford Motor Corporation to sell ford.co.uk would be a clear abuse but approaching the same company to sell car.co.uk would not.

How is approaching Childrens Rooms Ltd with the domain ChildrensRoom.co.uk substantially different from going to Ford Motor Corp with Ford.co.uk , with the added element of previous interaction and knowledge of the company?

There is previous 'form' here, along the lines of self admitted on Squillions Blog Blog Archive Merchant Madness , and contacting end users regarding names posted on Acorn before considering if to buy them.

I do not see that as a good way to go about domaining* and can get the registrant into trouble when they have not done anything wrong at all. As I said on that thread And this is exactly why I take an interest in such threads. Domain traders are *not* all like this, the vast majority trade legit generic terms rather than try and profit off other peoples work.

I know I will get a large amount of abuse from Lee now ;) and I am sorry for him its come back up, but the above is nothing that I have not said to him direct. We disagree on it, but if domaining wants to be taken seriously as a whole we have a duty not to even be close to perpetuating the myth that all domaining is dodgy.

What this has todo with this thread I do not know, but it is true I think the domainers need to start cleaning up their act and I think domainers have a responsiblity to each other as a community along those lines as it will benefit everyone.

Scott, for me what your post shows more than anything is how many people have very poor buying/negotiating skills and would benefit from giving 10-15% to a broker in order to save money. What I will concede is that an appraisal done by a panel of experts would have some merit and legitimacy but the market is so disjointed and chaotic that unless both parties agreed to be bound by the appraisal it may end up serving no point.

That was a similar arguement as you used 2 years ago, there are currently no panels out there that do it. My method of using a range of systems and paid for services is basically me making my own panel - is that acceptable in your eyes? Am I allowed to charge for my time in doing that ?

In this thread you have examples of information helping both buyers and sellers get extra value, yet you still dont accept that collating such data takes time and has a cost and getting someone else to do it can be beneficial to some people?!

I am going to need a new keyboard if this thread keeps going... :)

(*For balance I would encourage people to read Lee Owen's post on Squillions Blog Blog Archive Domaining - The Service as it gives his viewpoint).

Valuning domains...

Valuing domains... I guess some prices are subjective, but for me, the valuation of a geo is very much like buying property, in that other geo names have been bought and sold for x, and y, therefore the name I'm interested in is probably worth z. Having a good, informed idea as to the price of a domain means you are more likely to win in an auction (you won't hesitate raising the offer by 2k, if you know the domain is worth it), and means you don't mind going 6k into your overdraft, without questioning your decision...

Found it harder when I was buying names like Poems.co.uk and Bands.co.uk, and to be honest was grateful for advice from reputable contributors on this forum, as I felt quite open discussing the names I was interested in - one of the strengths of this community...

Just my thoughts...

Theres me thinking you had either given up posting, and to think I was half expecting an email of apology for frankly baseless insults.

Then we get the unsubstantiated inference that Lee made a conscious decision to charge a fee that would make it pointless going to DRS ...

It is with basis, I have spoken to Lee before and he has made it clear that my points about people DRS'ing him or worse on principle are unfounded as they would be mad not to pay £500 rather than the £750+vat fees.

Lee is making a risk v reward judgement, and as I have said to him I really truly hope that does not result in major issues further down the line. As his 'friend' I am amazed you show such a lack of concern.

I find it incredulous that a fellow 'domainer' can go on a public forum and do what you did. As I say, how anyone could trust you or view you as being professional after that display beggars belief.

So to be a domainer in your eyes means approaching companies with rights and matching domains? Sorry I simply do not agree.

Ford is a global brand that has been built over a century, Childrens Rooms Limited is a tiny company run from Middlesborough or somewhere in the North East who gave their business the name of a generic every day phrase, didn't protect it with a TM and then believe they have sole rights to said phrase, it's a ludicrous idea, personally I'd never heard of them until I read that thread.

Why on earth the size of a company matters I do not know. In the current DRS climate it is a simple fact if you approach names in that manner you can lose the domain , as that post shows it is seen by many as underhand and gives domainers a bad name.

Great if that is what you want... but not for me. I am not sure what you expect, me to wrongly post 'dont bother DRSing you will never win' ?!

So it's wrong for Lee to register a generic phrase and approach businesses that may be interested in that name at a reasonable price but it's okay for you to sit there waiting for them to approach you whereupon you'll hit them with a price exponentially greater than his?

I have issue with companies chosing to trade using generic names then claiming rights over that term. 'Domainers' registering then targeting matching companies is plainly wrong, and in the current DRS climate does not help anyone - on both sides.

We are not talking about Lee approaching them with kids.co.uk, but their company name .co.uk .

Says the man pointing businesses to the DRS process.

Quite a few domainers do :)

I do not subscribe to the notion that 'domainers' need to be iffy characters and some how trying to clean that up is a bad thing.

If actions are so clean and above board the DRS will not matter one iota.

Further to this, if Lee approached end users with rights in the term 'jester' with Jester.co.uk and you were DRS'ed it would be a very tricky situation. How could you prove that the domainer was not acting for you? Again, in the current DRS context it is not just risky for the domainer, but the innocent registrant themselves. Again, this is one issue I have mentioned to Lee but he said he does not give a toss about anyone else.

Fair enough if he creates issues for himself, but others? No.

Nothing has changed, I still believe that an appraisal is worth nothing

Hooray - back on topic :)

Great - nice blinkered view there, you have examples from third parties on how valuation information can be of benefit to buyers, sellers and brokers. If that is worth zero to you then that is your opinion, the fact you refuse to acknowledge it says quite abit about you :)

there's a small minority of people that put a minimum mid four figure price on anything and I mean anything that's generic, when you contact them they've always got plans for the name but haven't got around to it yet etc.. Why do they do it, because they're in a financial comfort zone where they don't need to sell so can sit back and put inflated prices on their domains and believe they're asset millionaires, it's a lottery ticket mentality that can pay off and it's their choice, the only thing is don't preach to the rest of us and tell us we're wrong, we're not, we just have a different strategy and view on the market.

So the old thread was relevant eh? ;) As pointed out to you back then by 'vizzy':
I guess this exactly states your attitude towards purchasing domains. You prefer seller to be hungry for cash and swallow it together with the hand, when you offer such a generous amount (compared to reg.fee).

But in reality, it doesn't work like that and you start to blame market, which has nothing to do with your expectations to deal with 'desperate sellers'.

Cheers,
Rob.

I think that statement has some truth to it.. and its frustrating - but it does mean they should sell it for a more "realistic" price?

there's a small minority of people that put a minimum mid four figure price on anything and I mean anything that's generic, when you contact them they've always got plans for the name but haven't got around to it yet etc.. Why do they do it, because they're in a financial comfort zone where they don't need to sell so can sit back and put inflated prices on their domains and believe they're asset millionaires, it's a lottery ticket mentality that can pay off and it's their choice

Been reading this post and wasn't going to get involved but what the hell!!

£100 for an appraisal if you are spending substantial money on a name should be a no brainer. Nothing wrong in a second opinion especially from a respected domainer who knows the industry inside out. Also, if you have a name and have just had an offer it is good to get another persons view on price, development potential and so on.

I have asked Rob's opinion on alot of names and it has honestly saved me a lot of money, much more than £100. You can get a Sedo appraisal but its a false economy IMO. If i went by Sedo's valuations i would be a millionaire 5 times over. Therefore for a realistic firesale or end user value appraisal it is well worth paying the extra. We tend to assume that everyone knows recent sales, current market prices but some people just do not have the time or knowledge to get that information.

Each to their own but i know where the smart money is.

RecreationSports.co.uk

RecreationSports.co.uk if your interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom