Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Squatters Are Screwed; Nobody Cares If Your Domain Has That Hot ... - TechCrunch

Discussion in 'Domain Industry News' started by Acorn Newsbot, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acorn Newsbot

Acorn Newsbot Junior Member

2. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

From the article:

I have to say, I had no idea about type in traffic before I joined here, and according to numerous posts I have read on here, some people say they get a lot of type in traffic to their domains, which actually amazes me, because I have never typed a word in to a browser to find something, for example, if I was looking for books, I wouldn't dream of typing books.com or books.co.uk in to the browser, I would always do a Google search for books. Anyone got any stats on just how many people type things in?

3. woopwoop United States

woopwoop Well-Known Member

I'm the same as you systreg.

I used to think that the type ins must mainly be from domainers seeing if there is a site there, or just from curious people.

Plus I've never clicked on the ads on a parked page (because by glancing they never seem to be something I'm looking for - just not relevant) and I very rarely click on adsense ads.

But I know lots of people who click on ads to get away from a page and I think there are lots of people with various knowledge of the web that type in a keyword into the address bar. Even type generic.com into the address bar like they have some unshakable faith that they'll be taken to the place they are looking for. Maybe that's the thing: that these users aren't looking for a specific site but are just looking for subject area, and they've had some success doing this in the past.

There are also people who confuse the search box for the address bar.
    Plus there are some browsers who take a generic entered into the address bar and take them to the closest matching site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.