Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

started a business on back of domain

Discussion in 'General Board' started by stender, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

Anyone started a physical business on the back of a domain catch?

2. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Do you mean bricks and mortar or online shops ?

I have a few that I turned into an online business where I carry physical stock and have the postman collect my mail and stuff. I have various domains into the same business sector as well. All which started with a catch, that gathered alot of interest (oddly I since sold the name and put it on a generic :)

3. digitalquill

digitalquill Active Member

Most if not all my affiliate businesses start this way, the domain purchase first, putting up either a full site or a mini site with affiliate links and some promotion. Usually with the view of just covering the domain cost, some then take off others struggle to make me the £6 reg fee...

Affiliate marketing, not a physical shop but still my part time business.

4. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

I meant sort of bricks n mortar. Either setup a shop or office as opposed to a website. Or purchased stock/equipment.

I caught a domain recently where i'm contemplating setting up a business which will involve purchasing machinery/stock etc... but just curious if others have done so.

I know we all setup websites.

5. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

I'm currently contemplating setting up an ecommerce store off the back of a domain I caught, have sent out enquiries to an American firm and have rough guestimates on how much I can get the stock from China/Taiwan. Never done anything like it before!

6. mally United States

mally Well-Known Member

I bought Mountain Bike which would make a good name for a particular business but the competition out there is massive, a niche product I thin would be better

7. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

There has to be enormous benefits for a new real world business having an already established generic term as their domain name, and it runs out cheaper in the long run as they save on advertising. So initial set up costs are higher ( domain probably costs 1500 to 7500 pounds ) but success is more likely providing of course that all the other business necessaries are in place and, if all else fails you still have a valuable asset in the generic term domain name. WIN WIN Situation.

8. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

I try to avoid real world businesses as I would much rather run an affiliate marketing business where overheads are low.

Rgds

9. expertc

expertc Well-Known Member

Not me, but two of my clients did. A while ago I put some B2B solution for them and then they moved from a "sole agent" to LTD with actual offices. But it was B2B not B2C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.