Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

_co_uk Summer sale including Bras Divorces Rabbits

Discussion in 'Domain Portfolio Sales' started by diablo, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

Obviously a deal won't be done... its absolutely pointless bidding low £xxx for a 5 figure BIN domain, given they all have unknown reserves too. Anyone doing so has too much time on their hands and is just messing about. Yet if they carry out these games at the end of the auction, every time they do it its going to extend it out for all the serious bidders too. If any are stupid enough to take part in this charade in the first place.

2. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Very simple Monkey - don't take part.

3. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

I'm not going to take part. Like I said in my original post, I just hope this isn't the way domain sales are going to go now as outside of the first one and the novelty aspect of it (combined with their being some good domains in it) its a complete farce and a total waste of time for everyone involved.

Don't you see the silliness in the way this is being run? Lets just say I've bid £600 for a domain with a £900 BIN. i.e. my bid is reasonable, i've a fair chance that its above the unknown reserve.

Yet you're letting people play games on other domains... do you really expect me to sit online while 2 acorn members with moths in their wallets bid £300, then £400, then £500 for a domain you've said you want 30 grand for? Its never going to lead to a sale, yet for every 6 silly bids thats another hour of my time you've stolen.

4. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

I won't be stealing any of your time. You aren't taking part.

5. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

Obviously. I'm talking about anyone who does choose to do so.

Why are you allowing people to bid so little on domains that have BINS 100 times what the bids are? Its utterly pointless... you're just wasting everyones time to the point where multiple people I've spoken to are saying they aren't interested in playing this game.

Oh well, your auction and your time to waste. If anyone else wants to play, more fool them :) Unsubscribing this thread now, 10 minutes wasted on it already was 10 minutes too many.

6. wonder_lander United Kingdom

wonder_lander Well-Known Member

I bid before looking at the BIN, I'm millllllles away from the BIN :D

7. figleaf007 United Kingdom

figleaf007 Active Member

Well, it's a shame you don't wish to address the legitimate concern and just advise people to go away....however, I will take your advice and do so...have fun...

8. MikeJDS

MikeJDS Active Member

I think what's missing perhaps is the 'overall target price'.
    That's what made the other auction interesting.
    Without that I agree any lower bids seem pointless.

How about a target price?

9. Retired_Member42

Retired_Member42 Retired Member

The point Monkey makes is valid. Sure you're well within your right to ask whatever you like for your domains but setting unrealistic BIN's (even to end users, let alone domainers) is just a waste of time. Especially if you're going to allow bids well below your desired reserve.

If you're going to try and copy Frank, put a collective/pooled BIN price together like he did to provide some incentive... Or at the very least, set the BIN's at your floor price now rather than your dream price for that once in a blue moon end user.

There are some great names which I think will sell for reasonable prices but not with it being run as it is now. Telling people not to bid because they've raised concerns with the format is not the way to go about selling your domains.

10. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Unlike Frank, I'm not looking to sell every name or to raise a particular sum - that's why there is no overall target.

My business model has always been to target end-users and that's what this sale is a part of - as I make clear in my opening post.

The auction angle I thought I'd add for acorn members, but obviously if anyone doesn't like the idea, they don't need to take part.

As for late bids extending EVERY auction by ten minutes, I think it's better that the only auction(s) that get extended are those with late bids so have altered the original post to reflect that.

11. MikeJDS

MikeJDS Active Member

My mistake I thought it was a "portfolio sale".

Perhaps just stick to BIN prices then - Any lower bids in an auction format are pointless. It's obvious there will be no bargains to had here.

Point taken, was just trying to help out :)

I don't think that's going to make much difference to the end result.

12. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Not true.

As per my opening post:

at the auction’s end, I will contact the highest bidder of each name that has not sold at BIN with the least amount I will take for the name(s) – the highest bidder will get first refusal at a price between their bid and BIN.

I will be looking to do deals so you've nothing to lose by bidding and you may get a bargain.

13. MikeJDS

MikeJDS Active Member

I did read it the first time.

I think what made Franks auction a success is that he was very open to people suggestions.
    Some people posted some good ideas and he adapted it to suit and it helped the whole auction along.
    He was also happy to take a measured risk which was key I think.

I'm not really that bothered - was genuinely just try to help out.
    All the best with the auction - I do hope it can work for you.
    (I won't post anymore in your sales thread)

14. TallBloke

TallBloke Active Member

I can appreciate some of the feedback in this thread. It seems similar on first impression to what Frank did, and is currently doing again, but your sale has no overall target. From looking at the spreadsheet one might think that there is a target because you're totaling up bids received ...but that total is irrelevant isn't it?

Frank didn't specify a reserve price for individual names either. And some of highest bids wouldn't have met Frank's (private) reserve. But there was a chance of a real bargain if his £100K target was met, so that made it interesting.

We're all entitled to sell domains we own in any way we fancy of course! And I think it's good to see owners trying to sell names in innovative ways.

15. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Yes, it's just so people can see a running total of bids - which no doubt would be asked for if not included.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  16. atlas Canada

atlas Well-Known Member

congratulations.co.uk - 500

17. donreeco United Kingdom

donreeco Active Member

dogswelcome.co.uk £50

18. addz123 United Kingdom

addz123 Active Member

I agree this auction system is flawed and is misnamed.

Essentially this isn't an auction it's just a "Make an Offer" thread, because the winning bidder isn't entitled to anything.

19. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Thanks to those who participated.

I'll be contacting the highest bidders later this month.

20. donreeco United Kingdom

donreeco Active Member

Any update on this? Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.