Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

T mobile Copyright domains 140 Euros

Discussion in 'Domain Industry News' started by Marcus.Heap, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcus.Heap United Kingdom

Marcus.Heap Active Member

Hi,

About two years ago I registered my-tmobile (.co.uk) and my-t-mobile (.co.uk) at a cost of about eight pounds. I was contacted by Lovells solicitors in Germany on behalf of Deutsche Telekom AG who own T Mobile. The letter was very ridged that T mobile wanted me to hand over the domain free.

I email Lovells and said that I was quite happy for T-Mobile to have the domain names and that I only wanted 125 Euros plus 15 Euros for the nominet fees. I said this would cover the cost of purchase and running the names for the two years I owned them.

I had been earning about fifty pounds a year from the two domains through Namedrive, but did not want a big court battle. The sale was agreed and I have now been paid 140 Euros for the two domains, and Lovells paid nominet as well.

Result.

Marcus

2. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

You call risking a massive lawsuit for 140 euros a result???????

Grant

3. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

Lucky you, I won't risk that myself.

4. Alex-Z

Alex-Z Active Member

You reckon he was really risking it? I mean, why would they sue him when for 140 euros they can have his cooperation and sort it out quickly and nicely?

I suppose they could have chosen to make an example of him... how likely would you say that is? Has it happened before?

5. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

Not highly likely but possible and yes it has happened before and is happening more and more:

BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft hits 'cybersquatters'

If you're squatting on a domain and have it parked you have virtually no leg to stand on - they could take you to court for damages and make you pay all costs and would win, so they have nothing to lose. He was extremely lucky they weren't seeking damages from the off.

Grant

6. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

Maybe for publicity i.e. Armami

7. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

How can you cybersquat billgates.com ??? not even a brand

8. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

The stories not really about that domain though is it, its about Microsoft making the move to go for damages as well as the domain, rather than just asking for the domain back - something that an increasing number of companies are doing!

Grant

9. Takwa United Kingdom

Takwa Well-Known Member

Is "Bill Gates" a trademark? say if you're not using it in bad faith don't think they can touch you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.