Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The clock is ticking for website owners to comply on cookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn Newsbot

Reaction score
Business: Business website, Data protection online, Legal obligations on the web

There are now less than 40 days before new EU privacy rules designed to give internet users more control over what data websites collect about them come into force in the UK.

The change means websites will have to adjust the way they use ‘cookies’ - small text files that are stored on the user’s computer used for recognising and tracking visitors. From 26 May sites will have to ask visitors for consent to record user data.

read more

More...

This is going to be a pain if you have to agree to every site you land on.

What 'happens' if we don't do it? I'm not planning to. :)

What 'happens' if we don't do it? I'm not planning to. :)

I believe website owners who dont implement could potentially get fined up to £500K (ouch). I guess this is really going to effect the affiliate industry, surely...

Barry

I believe website owners who dont implement could potentially get fined up to £500K (ouch). I guess this is really going to effect the affiliate industry, surely...

Barry

I agree Barry, I think it may highlight aff sites even more as what they are.

I can see compliant sites suffering as people click away in annoyance.

Admin

Anybody know of a working Wordpress plugin for this yet? I can see a few from a Google search but not got us far as testing any. Only 400 sites to implement this on!

Stephen.

unenforcable and guarantee 99% of sites won't bother
guess the big ones will have to

isn't there a way browsers can have something to block cookies on sites or something
i dunno
save every site having to fart arse around

you never know ukip may get in and we can kick the eu into touch altogether

I agree ^ should be done at the browser level. Although.... That could open a can of worms - browsers come with cookies disabled by default???

Just been playing around with some code, as a back up plan for this shitty cookie law.

Ive checked the site my side and it seems to be working as planned (Home page only). It does need some tweaking as its just a rough arse attempt.

I altered my browser settings on firefox to make sure it prompted me every time a site was trying to apply a cookie to my computer before hand, then cleared all my cookies and re tested after i added the code. Bobs yer uncle no cookie was passed until the accept box was clicked.

the domain its on is halloween-games.co.uk

Could someone check to see if its working :)

I am trying to come up with a way to make it more visually appealing lol.

Lee

Agree with the browser level comments.

It would surely be much easier and simpler to enforce if browsers by default have cookies for all websites turned off, and each new website visited by a user gives the option to add it permanently to an 'allow' or 'block' list.

Edit: Hadn't read suggys comments above, looks like browsers can already do this. :)

It would be far easier to have browsers filter / alert users when visiting sites compared to each individual site.

Ive been messin a little more with that code and ive had enough now lol.

I can either make it pass no cookies at all until the check box has been ticked, however without using a session, this can not be saved so needs doing on each page visit. (NOT USER FRIENDLY)

The script works perfectly if i use a session (Have it set to that now), but its defeating the object as it places a session cookie on your computer. Just wondering if you could get away with saying the session is vital for the site to function?!?!?

Either way its a ball ache! and i think ill wait for somone brighter than me to come up with something that actually works ;)

Night night

This is the exact problem I think I mentioned before. Without cookies you don't know if someone has already said no?! So every page you have to ask again. This is a non-starter. Isn't there a way of the UK getting out of this EU directive??? We need out!!

If an American (or other International) based website was to market to an international audience - particularly the EU/UK - with America not being part of the EU (obviously), do they have the advantage of having a less irritating/better UX because of this cookie legislation, this giving the American website a much more appealing platform and competitive edge over their EU competition?

What would happen if the American website does not comply to the EU cookie law legislation? Will they get a fine? Doubtful...

I don't think they would need to. It's only businesses that are based/operate from within the EU. AFAIK they could even host here, use a .co.uk and still not have to comply.

this law is so vague anyway, nobody knows how it will be interpreted until a case gets taken to court.

Is it not sufficient just to have a terms page on your site saying that by visiting the site you agree to having cookies dropped?

Not gonna change anything on my sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom