Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The .com or the .co.uk for UK Market?

Do I use the co.uk or the .com to aim at a UK market?

• The .co.uk of course

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • Don't be daft, the .com has it!

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy with the survey size, but clarification as to WHO was being surveyed would also help.

As for the original question i would suggest two things

1. This forum will always have a bias towards .co.uk so maybe this wasn't the best place to ask!

2. I think you need to ask some more questions: who are your audience, what niche are you in, who are your competitors are you building a brand, are you looking for peope to visit your site because theyve seen it advertised and remember it or just through search - and if through search, there are probably more important things than he extension. WE may not believe this but their are plenty of people out there who think .com is most authoritative. To look at it from a different perspective some people think .com is likely to be the best site and that .co.uk will be parochial!

If the survey was only answered by people involved with domains then the actual results can't be taken into consideration? As we aren't the "Joe Public" users of sites. Our views on .uk domains are always going to be different to a fifty year old woman from Leeds who buys clothes for her dog online.

lt_05.JPG

In my opinion it has to be the co.uk for a UK market.

Quick and simple test:

1. pick up any RANDOM UK-published magazine.
2. count the number of .co.uk vs .com URLs in ads

Here's mine (3 I happened to have lying around):

1) "Cambridge Business" (July/August 2011 issue)
.co.uk: 26
.com: 12
.anythingelse: 1

2) MarketingWeek (28 July 2011 issue)
.co.uk: 32
.com: 29
.anythingelse: 3

3) PC Pro (August 2011 issue)
.co.uk: 36
.com: 14
.anythingelse: 1

Shows that the businesses prefer .UK, May have to get out on the streets and do a questionnaire, got a large shopping centre near me.

.co.uk if plan to sell some thing online, if its just information site then may be .com so that you can get better click rate through adsense for international clicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom