Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The creeping miracle of technology...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember being about 9 in junior school, the teacher said

"In the future you will be able to order your food shopping on the computer and it will be delivered to your home"

That seemed an incredible/unimaginable thing to me at the time (I think because I hated having to help my mum carry home food shopping from tesco)

And now here we are :p

I remember being about 9 in junior school, the teacher said

"In the future you will be able to order your food shopping on the computer and it will be delivered to your home"

That seemed an incredible/unimaginable thing to me at the time (I think because I hated having to help my mum carry home food shopping from tesco)

And now here we are :p

I assume the car had not been invented when you were nine :eek:

I like the way it creates focus on the unbelievable jump forward in such a short space of time.
Was there any single invention, any overwhelming discovery that can be attributed to creating the leap ?
When people say there is no supreme being, no force that sees all and knows all, I have to smile, .
When you add infinity to what can be achieved from a standing start in such a short period of time, there is nothing inconceivable.

When I see parents now taking pictures of their young children on mobile phones, it always amazes me that they are smiling at the device fully knowing what it is and what it is doing, before they can really even walk and talk.

It is really amazing to think that these gadgets are part of their life from the second they are born and it is completely normal for them. I am only 28 but if someone had pointed a mobile phone at me even at the age of 15, I would have wondered what the hell they were doing!

I still think our computer chip birth and related technology has been 'acquired' from elsewhere (maybe Aliens or future humans?!). ;)

Thinking back on technology and what it was like even 20 years ago It always amazes me that we were able to put a man on the moon in 1969.. just doesn't seem realistic.

Glad to see my little piece stimulating a good discussion. Even a decade makes a huge difference in tech terms.

For example, if you're under 30, there has always been a "home computer" (even if you didn't personally have one in your own home) Equally, if you're under 30, music has "always" come on CD (or as a bitstream). Whereas I can vaguely remember a time before computers and I certainly spun LPs as a kid.

Scary thought: teenagers who are 14 or younger have never experienced the 20th century. I bet reading that suddenly made you feel REALLY old - regardless of how old you are!

Some of us are over 40 Edwin :( We climbed trees, played cricket etc. The speed of technological advancement is scary at times.

That's a touching article Edwin, but we both know there's been a depressed rate of decent technological progress since 1970.

What was the device by the way.. iphone?

Yet people are getting dumber and dumber, another miracle :D

Imagine going back in time and telling someone that we have all knowledge known to man available on a small device, yet instead of using it do something useful, lots people decide to play a game on it called flappy bird.

imagine going back in time and telling someone that we have all knowledge known to man available on a small device, yet instead of using it do something useful, lots people decide to play a game on it called flappy bird.

huge +1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom