Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The long term future of domains

Discussion in 'General Board' started by pugyrob, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. developdomains United Kingdom

developdomains Well-Known Member

you've also got to have (essential i think) an exit strategy.

be it buying 1 prime generic, developing it until it earns you £xxxx per month then cashing in or a network of smaller sites earning a nice stable income, always look ahead.

as already stated, new ext could come online and depending how big G and the rest want to view them, your portfolio of .uk names could suddenly become redundant. I know its a bit of a risk at the moment, but the only 'safe' market is property.

im building a stable income then when i feel the times right, will put the whole lot up for sale and buy some houses!

2. grandin United Kingdom

grandin Well-Known Member

Why change what works

Why change what works? You may need to enhance what works but to change it........I doubt.

If you are looking for M and S website then you need to know how to do that.....online News, links, talk etc create power to know that M and S operate from website (A). If you move (A) to website (B) then you need (A) in some format as (A) has all the news, links and talk related to it.

Therefore the nature of what website (B) will become is irrelevant in considering the importance of (A).

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

So long as search engine algorithms are trying to find "signals of quality" to separate the wheat from the chaff (spam) then I believe that exact match domain names have a role to play. Perhaps over time more emphasis will be placed on the extension as well, as there is definitely a bigger hurdle to climb to secure exactmatch.co.uk than exactmatch.org.uk or exactmatch.me.uk for example.

All other things being equal, the site on exactmatch.co.uk is more "credible" than its competitors on 10dollarbrandable.co.uk.

Of course that's only 1 of many signals of quality, but it should become more not less important over time.

4. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Didn't have you down as a religious man ?Matthew 7:[26] Matthew 7:[7] never thought I get rid of some of the terrible names on crap extension I registered just because they were £0.49 a pop but looks like I could actually make a profit now…. :D

5. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

The thing is with all this is that once bread becomes toast it can never be bread again. But also tomato soup never explodes when you microwave it like vegetable soup does.

6. grandin United Kingdom

grandin Well-Known Member

Baked Beans

Whilst the Vegetable Soup Corporate Mission Statement may well put you off odering the main meal it wont stop you putting butter on your bread or toast as the case may or may not be.....

At the end of the day domains are like Vegetable Soup you either love'em or hat'em either way you cant live without 'em

Lets create the Vegetable Soup Foundation

7. rob

rob Founding Member

8. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member

Enough already...

9. retired_member13

retired_member13 Banned

10. disruptive

disruptive Well-Known Member

OK who hijacked my prose....

11. m4c Germany

m4c Active Member

'Social Media' is going to be affecting how people find what they want - in one way or another - either through internal platform search engines - or simply by referral from within one's own network...

Consider how this forum works - someone posts a question asking for an accountant... or a hosting provider... replies come back from within the direct network with personal feedback - for good or bad...

Long term security - as has pretty much always been the case in the entire history of 'wealth' - can be traced back to owning land / property - the simplest, most proven formula for 'get rich slowly' is find a cashflow business and invest the profits in property.

(but then if I know so much, how come I'm broke? :confused:)

12. developdomains United Kingdom

developdomains Well-Known Member

um, like I, er, said ? :rolleyes:

13. julian United Kingdom

julian Banned

try wills

let me know and i'll sort you out.

14. stender United Kingdom

stender Well-Known Member

I've always been paranoid about sitting on any domains that are too valuable. Don't ask me why but there are many ways this gravy train can end. I can see dropcatching going first then you could also have adsense changed to pay per action or any number of changes happen. Especially if the british government take control of domains.

At the end of the day I think the key is don't have all your eggs in one basket. imho

Anyway the world is going to end in 2012 so sell sell sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.