Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The .UK revolution

Ordnance Survey advert. Seen today on TV showing os.uk
It still redirects to the older ordnancesurvey.co.uk. But interesting that they have chosen to start using .uk in their new marketing campaingns.

I guess this must be the start of whichever design agencies these big companies use starting to catch on to the shorter punchier version

I spotted this the other day. I'm beginning to notice small businesses opting for the .uk too. The .co.uk forwards to the .uk so they're smarter than Cinnabon :p

heavenonearthlandscapesuk.jpg

Came across Texel.uk and their well executed switch from .co.uk to .uk – the opposite of Cinnabon.
We could say they had... big balls to move to .uk
home1.jpg

Isn’t one of their board members also on the board of Nominet. I remember Edwin saying years ago that someone who was part of OS and Nominet was very unhappy he had maps.co.uk and possibly (I may be remembering wrong) tried to scupper him having access to maps.uk in the .uk release.

Yes Piers White was on the board of Nominet and Ordnance Survey at the same time in 2015. I can even remember an AGM held at their office once.

Ordnance Survey got OS.co.uk during the 2011 two letter sunrise and were used as an example to obtain rights to OS.uk. There is an FOI request about it here.

Still looks good on the tele today…

I'm beginning to think that a lot of non-domainers are realising that the .UK of their desired string is freely available and the .CO.UK isn't and they're snapping it up and rolling with it.

Lots of squatting on .co.uk and lots of real website being built on .uk. On my travels I'm seeing a marked uptick in the number of .uk names I see.

Nice to see - but we're not exactly at an inflection point............... yet.

Lots of squatting on .co.uk and lots of real website being built on .uk. On my travels I'm seeing a marked uptick in the number of .uk names I see.

Lots of errr speculation is also now happening in the second level .uk as well. This is Media Elite Holdings with 250,000 names on their tag.

Members like that are probably inflating the total number of DUM in the second level now 1.4 million. The third level is still 9.4 million but down from 9.6 million in January.

So I agree new businesses are finding .uk available to register like my local Chinese restaurant :) if the SEO traffic parking companies haven’t got there first!

Last edited:
I see hundreds and often thousands dropped on a daily basis by the REGISTERMATRIXCH tag, I quickly scroll past everything on their tag, never seen such a pointless bunch of names and loads of typo names.

I see hundreds and often thousands dropped on a daily basis by the REGISTERMATRIXCH tag, I quickly scroll past everything on their tag, never seen such a pointless bunch of names and loads of typo names.

Yes they are tasting traffic on an industrial scale. They only drop the names after a year without any PPC revenue.

Makes you wonder if they have NXDOMAIN data. Or more likely it’s where the .uk is available but the .co.uk is taken in the zone files.

Just watched an ITV advert for a .uk

NinjaWarrior.uk

This was shown prominently throughout the ad.

Yes but they're not CHOOSING to use the .uk, it's their only option as the .co.uk is owned and used by someone else.

That's in your opinion. It's a seems perfectly logical unforced choice to me. If they hated .UK so much they could have reg'd ninjawarriortv.co.uk or similar.

That is not my opinion, that is fact.

Why on Earth have they done this? Weird. For SEO value alone they should have just kept it and 301'd every link on site.

That being said, their SEO looks shit anyway. It's so bad in fact, it's probably fine lol.

Yes but they're not CHOOSING to use the .uk, it's their only option as the .co.uk is owned and used by someone else.
They are purposefully advertising the .UK and redirecting it to a different .co.uk.

Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything. They have CHOSEN the short exact version as a .UK for their advert. I'm sure if they really wanted the .co.uk they could have had it. Only 12 year olds are watching.

Why on Earth have they done this? Weird.
They like how the .UK looks on their advert I reckon. Nice that they had the option of that instead of a non exact version IMHO

Last edited:
I'm not arguing it doesn't look good, I love .uk, you might be aware of this. I just think it is a little strange to drop the .co.uk.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom