Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The value of Widgets for SEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I run a forex website and am thinking about investing into the development of some widgets that people can use on their websites.

Does anyone out there have any experience of doing this. Are the SEO benefits there to be had? Is it possible to mbed text into the code and if so, how would that compare to a standard text link and is it considered by Google to white hat?

Thanks in advance!

M

I've done it with a cookie control widget. Yup you can get a text link in there - my developer did it but don't know the details. You can create it using JavaScript though and that way they have to know about editing to remove the link - alternatively you could probably do something a bit snazzier and stop it working if they remove the link.

I assume it's white hat because it's no different to template creators requiring a link back when you use their template.

If the link is written in javascript rather than plain html it is unlikely it will be counted by Google - likewise links inside an iframe. I think you generally have to accept that some people will remove the credit link but most people won't bother.

One thing I would caution is to go easy on anchor text - use your brand name or similar as sitewide links are pretty much poison at the moment and if your widget is a calculator or similar that someone might put in their sidebar you could end up with an unhealthy amount of links that look sponsored - even if they weren't.

Thanks for the feedback peeps. Im going to get something done up in HTML
and have the anchor as a plain URL. Keep it coming if there's anything you can add.

I run a forex website and am thinking about investing into the development of some widgets that people can use on their websites.

Does anyone out there have any experience of doing this. Are the SEO benefits there to be had? Is it possible to mbed text into the code and if so, how would that compare to a standard text link and is it considered by Google to white hat?

Thanks in advance!

M

I'm maybe reading this wrong but if you develop the widgets properly, you can program them to insert any selected data into a predefined area.

For example, if you look on my site cottage-property .co.uk , those blocks on the right are all optimised widgets. Some of them display articles from selected categories, another writes links to a predefined number of recent articles, other widgets contain external links and others contain adsense code.

Basically I can insert any html into the widget, tell it which pages or sections to display on, and it writes those codelines into the generated page as clean code, which google loves. In this way I can have constant content rotation, constant page updates on every oage, and control sitewide sets of links from one place.

I hope thats of help.

I've done it with a cookie control widget. Yup you can get a text link in there - my developer did it but don't know the details. You can create it using JavaScript though and that way they have to know about editing to remove the link - alternatively you could probably do something a bit snazzier and stop it working if they remove the link.

I assume it's white hat because it's no different to template creators requiring a link back when you use their template.

Do search engine bots pick up/register javascript generated content (read: links) these days?

Nooby question I know, but it seems to me that a search engine would favour/provide more authority to links that are visible on page load (static), rather than non-existent if javascript is/was disabled (dynamic)?

Sorry, I should've clarified there. The widget itself is powered by JavaScript, the link is plain text via an include.

Sorry, I should've clarified there. The widget itself is powered by JavaScript, the link is plain text via an include.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as anything other than genuinely intrigued. Thanks for clearing it up though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom