Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The whole GoDaddy/elephants thing

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Blossom, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

In case you missed it, the CEO of GoDaddy killed an elephant, took a video using promotional GoDaddy hats, and put it on their website.

Not cool.

Linking to the search results rather than the actual video on principle: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&biw=1680&bih=841&q=godaddy+elephant&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

NameCheap has jumped on the bandwagon by offering a transfer-in discount & donations to Save The Elephants. Good opportunity or just more underhanded marketing?

Twitter is going mad about it: http://twitter.com/#!/search/godaddy

2. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Despicable. :(

Someone should shoot him. I shall be pulling the very few Go Daddy .com's I have reg'd there...

3. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

I hate the idea of people shooting such beautiful creatures. I do understand that some people hold a different view on subjects like this, but getting villagers to wear GoDaddy hats, while ripping flesh off a dead elephant, does seem quite bizarre to me. I'm not sure why someone would want to associate that kind of imagery with their internet company.

4. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

In some parts of Africa elephants are over populated and are destroying not just crops but also habitats of other species.

The fact they are only targeting nuisance animals, and every part gets used, is in his favour. Filming it, is not.

I agree that elephants are beautiful, majestic animals and I'd much rather see them unharmed, but that farmer relies on his crop for his family's survival. Law of the jungle - the fittest survive.

5. Rob_F United Kingdom

Rob_F Well-Known Member

He always came across to me as a bit of tosser, and that video just confirms it as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with Brewsters that there are certain instances where populations might need to be controlled, but filming it and using it for marketing purposes is inexcusable.

- Rob

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  6. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

Thought it was a really bad april fools' at first :( Mad really how the ceo of godaddy could even imagine that would be good marketing for his company?! :confused:

7. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

I wonder if the shareholders even if they are as gung ho as he would share his opinions... Using his justification of elephant damaged locals crops they cannot eat hunt it…. He damaged there wealth cannot buy beluga hunt him...?
    I aways wondered who used Gerald Ratners PR firm and speach writers after him now I know :p

8. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

Just another gain as much publicity for your company by doing something controversial. And its worked.

9. AuthorityDomain United States

AuthorityDomain Active Member

Glad I don't use them for my hosting/domains

10. namealot United Kingdom

namealot Well-Known Member

Remember the value of branding and image over quality... Ratner got plenty of publicity but lost the company 500 million in share price and his job..

11. Blossom

Blossom Well-Known Member

Not unless it was NameCheap he was doing the publicity for.

12. Lovekraft United Kingdom

It is pretty sick though, not because he shot an elephant, but more because he is trying to be perceived as doing something good for a village struggling to survive. Along comes parsons to save the day type scenario. If he really cared on a personal level he wouldn't have brought the cameras with him.

13. Lovekraft United Kingdom

I think i might go to Japan and have myself filmed giving food handouts to some of the tsunami victims, all wearing tshirts with some of my domain names printed on them of course.

14. jasman United Kingdom

jasman Active Member

Buying some land and providing the funding and equipment for locals to become self-sufficient growing their own food would have been an appropriate way to help them and would have cost probably £XXXX-£XXXXX, less than a days pay for Parsons I should think.

But this is an outrage. Total idiot. Karma will catch up with him.

15. jwm United Kingdom

jwm Active Member

Agreed, how he is trying to dress it up is staggering. He was there purely for the sport of killing elephants for fun

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.