Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

thepicture.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am considering putting this domain name up for sale and am told by many people what a great domain it is, but would appreciate an appraisal from other forum members. Many thanks.

Have you personally owned the domain since 98?

If so, in that time have you ever had someone contact you trying to buy it.

+1 to what's already been said, fraid I dont see value in it either, its just not a phrase that people say....if it was "the big picture" then it would have brandability but just sticking "the" in front of a word it doesnt normally go with doesnt make sense

I am considering putting this domain name up for sale and am told by many people what a great domain it is, but would appreciate an appraisal from other forum members. Many thanks.

I would rely more on your valuation, you will know a lot about the domain if you have had it for some years, such as, who owns the .de and the hyphenated .com.
mypict*re co.uk is a business so lot's to go on.

+1 to what's already been said, fraid I dont see value in it either, its just not a phrase that people say....if it was "the big picture" then it would have brandability but just sticking "the" in front of a word it doesnt normally go with doesnt make sense

Surely the strength of 'the' is that it is the DEFINITE article - See dictionary explanation:
1. Used, especially before a noun, with a specifying or particularizing effect, as opposed to the indefinite or generalizing force of the indefinite article a or an.
2. Used to mark a noun as indicating the best-known, most approved, most important, most satisfying, etc.
3. Used to mark a noun as being used generically.

I believe that the domain, mypicture.co.uk, sold recently for nearly £4k - what's the difference between 'my' and 'the' in terms of value and saleability?

Many thanks for your input.

I believe that the domain, mypicture.co.uk, sold recently for nearly £4k - what's the difference between 'my' and 'the' in terms of value and saleability?

The mypicture.co.uk domain name forwards to my-picture.co.uk which is an established web site. That'll be why it apparently sold for £4k. Nothing appears to be at the-picture.co.uk. I suggest that "my" may be more established and accepted than "the" is in respect of choosing a web site name. Replace "the" with "your" for something else quite similar.

(from iPhone)

Hi Clive,

(Welcome to Acorn).

Sorry, but I can't see any value either, other than to perhaps a photographer or similar service, etc.

There's nothing special about it really and I wouldn't pay more than £100 to acquire it personally and that's tops.

However, if you feel it's worth more, stick to your guns and list it for sale with an asking price, you never know.

Good luck! :D

Surely the strength of 'the' is that it is the DEFINITE article - See dictionary explanation:
1. Used, especially before a noun, with a specifying or particularizing effect, as opposed to the indefinite or generalizing force of the indefinite article a or an.
2. Used to mark a noun as indicating the best-known, most approved, most important, most satisfying, etc.
3. Used to mark a noun as being used generically.

Many thanks for your input.

“my-picture” there "brand" makes sense to them to own mypicture maybe brand protection etc although my-picture.org is free to reg they’ve not bothered with it so protection only in top cctld and com maybe.

Free to reg ourpicture.co.uk (this for example the plural wants £1500) our-pictures.co.uk our-picture.com etc, There reason for buying x isn’t a reason for anyone else wanting xxx unfortunately

I cant really see any value in this either, i mean there must be 100s of words you could put in front of picture. Every newcomer to domains think there domains are worth a lot more than what they actually are. Learning about domains take's a bit of time and effort such as spending hours and hours reading posts on this forum.

I posted a domain for valuation, and got the usual reg fee insightful comments. I let the domain drop, was pickup up by one of the same 'reg fee' commentators, and is now on sale on his website for £x,xxx.

In these times of data uncertainty, lack of trust in the media, 'thepicture' would be a great domain for a news website with a meaning along the lines of 'the big picture' or 'the full picture'.

Problem is you would have to develop, project like this could take years. I personally think best way to think of domains especially those who don't have big organic searches, is to think of what value can be added to them via development, and it should be an idea you have a natural interest in or the work will not be enjoyable.

It's a matter of context, irrespective of the my-picture domain having history.

mypicture has a possesive context and syntactically makes sense, though the plural would be preferred.

thepicture has little or no possessive context or syntactic sense.

Hence, reg fee, unless developed into a recognisable brand.

I cant really see any value in this either, i mean there must be 100s of words you could put in front of picture.

Yep....and more words that could combine with related topics such as 'photos', 'photography' 'images' etc

Surely the strength of 'the' is that it is the DEFINITE article

Not in this case as the meaning of the overall phrase is too vague. I think you are not grasping the way in which "the" is typically used as a definite article. (You generally only use it in situations where the reader has prior knowledge of the exact subject matter being referred to)

Part of the skill in this industry is finding the value in a domain, that like any skill comes easier to some than others.

The person who bought the coca c*la recipe saw more in it than the person who sold it.

What you see is what you pass on to prospective purchasers.

Some things are obvious however, and ThePicture clearly has a meaning and isn't any old two words, could be a perfect brand for at least a small business and in my opinion has some value.

Any value you can add is obviously beneficial.

I posted a domain for valuation, and got the usual reg fee insightful comments. I let the domain drop, was pickup up by one of the same 'reg fee' commentators, and is now on sale on his website for £x,xxx.

In these times of data uncertainty, lack of trust in the media, 'thepicture' would be a great domain for a news website with a meaning along the lines of 'the big picture' or 'the full picture'.

Problem is you would have to develop, project like this could take years. I personally think best way to think of domains especially those who don't have big organic searches, is to think of what value can be added to them via development, and it should be an idea you have a natural interest in or the work will not be enjoyable.
the picture as a news site it implies “picture” creating confusion before you’ve even started not great for conveying a truthful factual news site? When you add to make a name available remember so can others it has to be the best not and also run

If someone regs a name you let drop and advertised it I wouldn’t worry there’s along way to go from reggiing to selling ?

If I had a pound for every name I’d dropped I’d be quids in... The ones that regged them after had a pound for everyone they’d only be losing 80% on co/uks :)

Surely the fact it's still for sale tells you something ?

More interestingly, are those people that tell you "what a great domain it is" potential buyers? If not, then they don't really count.

MyPicture.co.uk has an emotional attraction as it relates to "me".

ThePicture.co.uk is very much out in the open, is more generic, not personal or related directly to "me", therefore I am less attached/attracted to it as a brand name.

In my opinion, this is what negates it's value and leaves it at the value a buyer is willing to pay for it, which is probably very little due to it not being developed and the comments I (and others) have made above.

Did this really happen?

Bit cheeky if so..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom