Domain Manage

Thinking ahead - the future

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by TheKorat, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKorat

TheKorat Member

Hi guys,

Just thinking and wondered what your views were?,

What with Premium One & Two Word domains being all but snapped up and unavailable now I wondered what the future lies for Three & maybe even Four word domain names?, do they have a place, a price?, in 10 years time what will the market demand?

Thanks for reading

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

3. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Interesting question.

Looking at our historic sales, the average domain lengths were as follows:-
    1.88 words in 2006
    1.89 words in 2007
    1.95 words in 2008
    2.19 words in 2009
    2.25 words in 2010
    2.06 words so far in 2011 (pulled down by recent .org.uk sales as we moved to get rid of that aspect of our portfolio)

Or, looking at the data another way, as a percentage of all sales...
    1 word: 13%
    2 words: 69.9%
    3 words: 15.9%
    4 and 5 words: 1.2%

So there isn't a huge trend that stands out, but clearly domains with 3+ words certainly can and do sell quite readily to end users. 4+ words and it's a much harder "ask", but it helps if it's an exact match of a highly commercial phrase, with high CPC costs. Also, the average length of a sold domain name is gradually increasing (I explained above why this year's data is "artificially" low)

4. TheKorat

TheKorat Member

Edwin,

So from your figures, I'm guessing that in 10 years time 3 word domains will have it's fair market share so to speak?, or maybe even earlier?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

There will ALWAYS be a market for highly commercial 3 word domains - they sell quite happily today, no need to wait 10 years. At the same time, I believe that companies are very gradually tending to look at longer names that are a closer fit to their specific product or service.

At the same time, time won't magically make undesirable names desirable - junk today will still be junk a hundred years from now. In other words, "a rising tide doesn't lift all boats" - the fact that good domains are going up in value, and longer domains are becoming of more interest to buyer, says nothing at all about domains that aren't "good".

6. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

As Edwin has mentioned, I would be thinking in terms of value of keyphrase (e.g. in CPC) rather than number of words. If people are searching on it, then it's more likely to be a commercially viable domain.

Rgds

7. srisri24

srisri24 Active Member

may be in ten year time 3 word domains will have future, but many not be 4 word domains. But is it right to pay 10 renewal fees for selling after 10 years with speculation, i wont do it. for now i will stick to 2 word domains

8. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

It's probably dangerous to base a long-term investment plan too far into the future. In terms of the relatively fledgling state of the internet and associated communication protocols, Google hasn't been around that long. However, they dominate speculators' strategies. If anyone can predict accurately a decade hence, they'll be rich.

9. TheKorat

TheKorat Member

10. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

careful as you go.

11. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.