Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Three month countdown begins for third-level .UK domain owners to opt for .uk equivalent

Acorn Newsbot

Reaction score
Five year ‘Right of Registration’ reservation period ends June 25th

26th March, OXFORD: .UK domain registrants with a third-level domain (.co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, .net.uk, .plc.uk or .ltd.uk) are today reminded that they have less than three months left to secure the shorter second level (.uk) equivalent, before it is made available to the public.

The deadline closes at 05:00 BST (UTC+1) on the 25th June, the end of a five year ‘Right of Registration’ period set aside by Nominet in June 2014 to allow third-level domain registrants ample time to consider whether they would like to register their second-level equivalent.

Those with .co.uk registrations before midnight on 28 October 2013 were given five years to decide whether to register the corresponding .uk ending as well as, or instead of, their existing registration. If a .co.uk was not registered at that time, rights would have passed to the .org.uk then the me.uk domain. Registrants can check if they have rights here.

After the deadline closes, all previously reserved but unregistered domains will become generally available in July.

Of the original 10 million domains who had their rights reserved in June 2014, there are now 3.2 million domains that have not registered the corresponding shorter .uk equivalent. Over 2 million .uk domains have been registered.

Nominet and its registrars have been in touch with registrants over the course of the five year Right of Registration period, through direct contact, webinars, regular promotion and registrar initiatives.

To remind rights holders of the deadline, an advertising campaign is planned for May.

Commenting on the Right of Registration entering its final three months, Eleanor Bradley, COO, Nominet, said: “We have given registrants a long period of time to consider their options. As the deadline approaches, an advertising campaign will remind rights holders that time is running out. For some companies, they will really want to secure the shorter domain, for their own use, now or in the future, or to guarantee nobody else can use it. They need to take action quickly to avoid missing out. Others are happy with the domain they have, and don’t want to register or use another. It’s important to stress to those people that the existing domain will continue as normal, and no action is required.’

It is a feature of the global domain name system that the same set of characters before the dot – known as the ‘string’ – can appear in names with different suffixes. So for example, ilovedomains.co.uk, ilovedomains.org.uk, and ilovedomains.com might all be registered to different people.

Ellie Bradley said; “In the vast majority of cases, very similar domains co-exist with no problems. But for the rare cases where someone is abusing their domain or using it for illegitimate purposes, we have safeguards in place so action can be taken swiftly.”

Further details on the Right of Registration period and the .uk domain can be found here.

Media enquires

Nominet Press Office, Brands2Life, +44 (0)20 7592 1200, [email protected]

About Nominet

Nominet has been at the forefront of innovation for 20 years through its internet registry solutions, cyber security services and dynamic spectrum management. Driven by a commitment to use technology to improve connectivity, security and inclusivity online, Nominet is a profit with a purpose company supporting initiatives that contribute to a vibrant digital future. www.nominet.uk

The post Three month countdown begins for third-level .UK domain owners to opt for .uk equivalent appeared first on Nominet.

Continue reading...

July will be a bumper month of registrations for Nominet! I think there will be mass registration of unclaimed .uk's by speculators

I think we'll see a lot of .uk's which people are watching disappear close to the deadline. Any domainers will wait until the last minute if they have .uk rights - why would you spend money on early registration for a domain which you have exclusive rights to anyway?

I think we'll see a lot of .uk's which people are watching disappear close to the deadline. Any domainers will wait until the last minute if they have .uk rights - why would you spend money on early registration for a domain which you have exclusive rights to anyway?
Because as it stands, the Nominet promotion for a free year's registration ends this month. Sure Nominet will continue to offer deals, but you never know, this is a money maker for them after all.

Whilst the logic in that is sound, I disagree, most people actually won't know what is about to happen. Nominet has failed to make the masses aware of .uk. Also, most people would spend a fiver to get it secured when it was in their minds and not try to calendarise a five pound spend to the last possible day to save pennies.

I could be wrong but I expect to see thousands upon thousands of great domains available to register.

Agree with Admin - Nominet have failed to make the masses aware of this. Where is the TV campaign warning people to take up their rights or lose it?

I come from China. I have been paying attention to this matter.I believe that the uk series domain name will grow a lot.:)

I could be wrong but I expect to see thousands upon thousands of great domains available to register.

Great domains co.uk are far from being Great domains.uk, and probably never will be. The only reason for registering or buying .uk is to prevent confusion and avoid future conflict. As an independent extension .uk is hopeless, good luck with trying resell them at a profit. I doubt many owners of valuable co.uk names will give away their .uk rights.

Nominet have tried to promote and encourage .uk registrations. I think the poor response is down to indifference, not lack of awareness. Of course there are regular examples of valuable co.uk's being lost by careless owners, and even prior .uk registrations, but signs of decent resale prices are scarce

There will be a frenzy of .uk registrations in July, but it is an opportunity that I am happy to ignore.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom