Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Time Of Day for Switching of Statuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello

Am I correct in thinking that when UK domains drop they are staggered on the drop day. Eg at 12midnight they dont just all change status, they flip over gradually?

I am presuming that this also applies to changes from Detagged to Suspended.

I have been reading around and have not been able to find out this information. Whilst I would like like the answer :) I am aware that this information is likely to be built up over time and experimentation. Are there any threads that cover this sort of information or places where I can learn some of this information.

Cheers

ukseo said:
Hello

Am I correct in thinking that when UK domains drop they are staggered on the drop day. Eg at 12midnight they dont just all change status, they flip over gradually?

They drop randomly throughout the day from midnight to midnight

Grant

Ahh ok, thanks.

I did spot some related threads at the bottom after posting.

Just got to find out if there is any pattern or a real rand() thing.

cheers

All random numbers are pseudo random numbers in that there is in fact a pattern governing their behaviour. However unless one can throw a huge amount of data at the stats its unlikely that one can pick up any bias in the data.

If nominet were really sharp, they might use a better random number generator such as a Shuffle to help really randomise it. I suspect they use the in built rand gen which has periodic limitations.

Aha, good to arouse a response.

I spend a significant amount of my time dealing with random numbers, trying to make "random numbers" more random.

Its very important to get right not just for Nominet to drop their names. Actually it can be quite enthralling.

Which random generator are you using Nominet?

disruptive said:
Which random generator are you using Nominet?

Sorry, but I'm going to keep that secret. I don't think it actually matters given the algorithm but I don't want to disclose this.

Jay Daley said:
Sorry, but I'm going to keep that secret. I don't think it actually matters given the algorithm but I don't want to disclose this.

is the correct answer :)

Go -on. I'll tell you if its any good? I am sure you have nothing to fear if it is "Random" enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts