Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Transferring a Suspended Domain?

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Alien, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, is it possible to transfer a domain in 'Suspended' state, via the online Nominet system to a new owner/tag etc?

I can see this has been discussed before, but not sure if it has in relation with the new online transfer system.

Thanks. :)

2. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

It can be done, i just transfered one last week that was suspended.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

Ahh, thanks Ben. :)

4. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

I bought a about half a dozen off Lee Hart, some was days away dropping, do pretty sure you can transfer right to the drop date, altho I'm not sure I'd chance actual drop day :p

5. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Won't it still drop or can the new registrant just pay the 2 years on it ?

Thanks Andy

6. Skinner

They transfer over, I added them to my daily account, then I got an email off daily saying they are in need of renewel, so I just renewed it within about 2 minutes of transfer.

7. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Oh right, i thought you could only do that during the 30 expiring period, that's handy to know.

Thanks Andy :cool:

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  8. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

I assumed you could transfer right up to the drop date, but thanks for confirming it.

I'm currently trying to get hold of a domain owner who's domain is dropping in the next few days, he hasn't answered my email yet. I've also found 2 phone numbers for him, so I'm going to phone him tomorrow to ask if he wants to sell me the domain before it drops, providing the numbers work.

Just in case he says yes, does anyone have a suggestion for a registrar to transfer it to, where I can renew it there and then using PayPal, failing that, with a Visa Electron debit card?

9. Skinner

daily take paypal :)

10. Systreg

Cheers Skinner, just need him to answer his phone and say yes now :lol:

11. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

If he says yes, first thing to do is call Nominet and explain what you're trying to do. They'll understand if you say you'd like an extra week or two beyond the normal drop date, to give you time to change tag & renew. I've done it before, and they were very reasonable about such a request. They simply offer to put the drop on hold, no problem.

12. Systreg

@ DoubleTap, thanks for the advice, I wasn't aware that Nominet would do things like that for the man in the street, although I see they do it for LTD companies and the like where their domains go past the drop dates and don't drop, cheers.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  13. retired_member12

And you get the added bonus of frustrating the dropcatchers if its obviously a prize catch.

Hey, you have to get your kicks where ever you can! :p

14. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Oooh sounds like fun :lol:

I didn't know that, Nominet doing favours for us, and as for an extension, can you imagine the catchers frustration :mad:

15. Skinner

The domainers who sail sooo close to the wind piss me off, had some amazing potential catches that have been renewed (or changed to renewed) on the actual day of the drop, most do it the day before the drop, but there a few who, who I think may have a good idea of the drop times as they are renewing on the day heh, which is either insider info or balls so big they got inbuilt space hoppers :p

16. retired_member12

Yes, noticed that. But you just know they'll renew, knowing the potential value. My lists are split into 'domainers' and 'non-domainers'. Its shocking how close to the candle the domainers fly!

17. Systreg

I just had a quick chat with Daily.co.uk live support, because I saw on their site that it mentioned credit card payments for domain renewals, but they confirmed you can renew expiring domains with PayPal:

18. retired_member12

I'd still call Nominet about it if the guy agrees to transfer. Cover your bases mate!

19. ratboy United Kingdom

ratboy Well-Known Member

Saw one go today...

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  20. Systreg

I got hold of the domain owner, but his mobile is on voicemail, left a message for him to contact me.

[edit]

Ok, the domain owner has phoned me back, seems like a nice chap, he gave me a price, I told him what I was able to offer for it, which was just over half of what he wants, he's going to sleep on it and get back to me, of course, he will want a bit more than I'm offering, so i'll see what happens next time we talk.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.