Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

trying to stop 100dollars-seo.com/try.php?u=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paullas

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Its back again i am being bombarded with 100dollars-seo.com/try.php?u= in my logs. I have put the following in nt htaccess:

# block visitors referred from 100dollars-seo
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} 100dollars-seo.com\.com [NC]
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.100dollars-seo.com [R=403,L]

but it isn't stopping it? So can anyone help in how to block these idiots.

Thanks in advance.

can't you block them by IP?

Admin

I've also noticed visits from these 100dollar referrers in the last couple of days, I add each IP to the IP deny manager in Cpanel as xx.xx.0.0-xx.xx.255.255 to block their IP range.

Check previous posts for 'semalt.com'

They use a botnet to spam the web so you'll never win by blocking ip addresses.

This works although there are other methods. Don't bother sending anything back though - you may as well bark at the moon.

Code:
# BLOCK Spammers
<Files 403.shtml>
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Files>

SetEnvIfNoCase Referer 100dollars-seo.com spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer semalt.com spammer=yes

Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=spammer

# END Spammers

A few more you might want to add are:
see-your-website-here.com
buttons-for-website.com
buttons-for-your-website.com
best-seo-solution.com
best-seo-offer.com

Out of interest is there any way of adding the above server wide for example in WHM.

Would like to know this too, would be a pain to add it to individual websites every time a new dodgy link comes along

What is the benefit is of blocking them at the .htaccess level? Is it simply that you're not wasting bandwidth serving web pages to bots? Or do they have the potential to do something more harmful?

@ Edwin, the spam doesn't do anything harmful but, apart from saving bandwidth, webmasters like to get rid of them because they mess up analytics, the fake visit leaves immediately, which make the bounce rate in analytics go up.

Out of interest is there any way of adding the above server wide for example in WHM.

I don't think so. You could add a rule to mod_security if you have that but you'd still need to keep adding hostnames as they come along.

In my experience over the past 2 years the list above covers 99% of the problem.

@ Edwin, the spam doesn't do anything harmful but, apart from saving bandwidth, webmasters like to get rid of them because they mess up analytics, the fake visit leaves immediately, which make the bounce rate in analytics go up.

Ok, thanks for the added info!

If you put a .htaccess in /home directory it should impact on all user accounts across cpanel which will give you a global backout for bad bots, blocking them at server level/htaccess is a million times better than blocking them with some plugin which only blocks at PHP level which means there is still requests using resources.

To add to systreg answer to Edwin the main issue with all these botnets, vulnerability scanners and small brute force attempts on wordpress sites alike is that the resources consumed are not only bandwidth, they effect server loads, server response times and first byte time.

In many cases for wordpress id highly recommend signing up to cloudflares free services, great DNS control of all your sites in one place, instant mitigation of "bad bots" , faster response times and fast page loads as a whole.

Just spotted a new one coming from:

howtostopreferralspam.eu

Ironic

Concerning cloudfare do you use it and/or anyone esle use it and is it reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive started using it on a couple of small sites recently to see the results and like what i see, I havent tried them with a high or reasonably traffic site yet.

Its free for HTTP requests and only takes a nameserver change to switch it back, ive seen alot of people complaining about it but like wise many singing their praises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom