Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Twitter adopting '.co' for URL shortening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just got the update from Twitter re: OAuth and t.co

Ever since registering some .eu's and letting them drop I've never been a fan of any of the new tlds (although I have a couple of .org.uk's) and wasn't tempted in the slightest with the .co's

But here's part of the Twitter email that's interesting:
Update 2: t.co URL wrapping

In the coming weeks, we will be expanding the roll-out of our link wrapping service t.co, which wraps links in Tweets with a new, simplified link. Wrapped links are displayed in a way that is easier to read, with the actual domain and part of the URL showing, so that you know what you are clicking on. When you click on a wrapped link, your request will pass through the Twitter service to check if the destination site is known to contain malware, and we then will forward you on to the destination URL. All of that should happen in an instant.

You will start seeing these links on certain accounts that have opted-in to the service; we expect to roll this out to all users by the end of the year. When this happens, all links shared on Twitter.com or third-party apps will be wrapped with a t.co URL.

What does this mean for me?

A really long link such as http://www.amazon.com/Delivering-Happiness-Profits-Passion-Purpose/dp/0446563048 might be wrapped as http://t.co/DRo0trj for display on SMS, but it could be displayed to web or application users as amazon.com/Delivering- or as the whole URL or page title.
You will start seeing links in a way that removes the obscurity of shortened links and lets you know where each link will take you.
When you click on these links from Twitter.com or a Twitter application, Twitter will log that click. We hope to use this da

So there's a lot of fluff in the quote and I'm still not really sold on .co's but this must give the TLD a big push, maybe leading to more registrations? What do you think?

I don't think the .co extension needs much of a push!
I've been tracking available LLL/product .co's for a while now
and almost every one has been regged. They are flying off the shelf!
I know a lot of the experienced guys are saying that it is a waste of time,
comparing them to .biz .me .cm etc but i think .co is very different to those extensions. .co is a shorter version of .com and .co.uk
As more of the world gets connected to the internet they are seeing a
total lack of liquidity/availability in .com's and are scrambling for an alternative.
I think .co has a long way to run yet. It might be like Blackpool trying to catch Chelsea but it has the best chance so far.
AutoGlass.co recently sold for $53k (probably not knowing that it is a UK TM)
I bet there are a few guys on this forum quietly licking their lips.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts