Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

UK based after market site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foz

Reaction score
Why has it never come to pass (.uk only).

Surely a UK Registrar would view it as a benefit? More customers (registrations and transfers in) and additional cash flow from commissions.

Is the initial start-up momentum just to great to get traction over the likes of Sedo?

Isn't DomainLore the technical version ?

Maybe Denys should do a less strict version, his acceptance rules seem to be INSANELY strict, I haven't submitted any, but people keep whining about it. So if it was a little more open and converted to a sedo model it would work ?

So maybe Barry with Market.co.uk should step up :p, he's got the cash, the resources and is known, he seems like a cool guy (altho I still want to throttle him).

Whichever company steps up (if one does) there needs to be a clear, unambiguous, well-enforced set of rules governing the trading platform and the rules must be IDENTICAL for everyone, including the owner of said trading platform. The quickest way to lose confidence in a new service is to give the impression of favouring some interests over others.

Someone with an establish business (ideally a Registrar) that has credibility, staff in place and the financial grunt to make it happen would be ideal.

Domainmonster springs to mind these days. Imagine an end-user typing in a desired domain told it was registered BUT could purchase it on the after market section. Brilliant.

Maybe give matt from DM a PM and point him to this thread, maybe he will bring it up in meetings and see what comes ?

Imagine an end-user typing in a desired domain told it was registered BUT could purchase it on the after market section. Brilliant.

That is a great lightbulb moment ! love that idea and would be absolutely genius imo !

That's kind of how the DDN works in .com/net etc. Many registrars (including Godaddy and Fabulous) agreed on a shared platform that shows domains as available for sale if they're listed on the Domain Distribution Network. Transfers are instantaneous and secure, without Auth Codes, for all DDN-listed domains that sell. The various partners to the sale (the company that first signed up the seller, and the company that drove the lead) share a percentage of the proceeds, generally anything from 20-35% depending on the listing. That's another interesting tweak: you can choose to offer a higher commission in exchange for wider distribution. The higher you go up the scale, the more registrars will pick up the sales feed.

The buyer is protected because once the sale goes through the transfer is instant and irrevokable. And since it's a fixed price system, the first the seller knows of a sale is when they get a "Your domain XYZ has sold" email. After a domain has been listed with DDN, there's nothing a seller can do to prevent a sale (unless they remove the domain from DDN again before said sale takes place)

The seller is protected because the domain ends up at the gaining registrar with standard conditions attached, including the no transfer within 60 days rule. So if anything weird shows up with the buyer's payment during that time, the transaction can simply be reversed and the domain sent back to the original owner at the original registrar.

Last edited:
i keep planning to develop domainaftermarket.co.uk for this reason
i have my own ideas on how it could work and for a multitude of reasons think parking be kicked into touch completely, have arse covering landers with option to buy or show an interest

also redirect to domainaftermarket.co.uk/domain save indexing domain
endusers often like 'fresh meat' :cool:

That's kind of how the DDN works in .com/net etc. Many registrars (including Godaddy and Fabulous) agreed on a shared platform that shows domains as available for sale if they're listed on the Domain Distribution Network. Transfers are instantaneous and secure, without Auth Codes, for all DDN-listed domains that sell. The various partners to the sale (the company that first signed up the seller, and the company that drove the lead) share a percentage of the proceeds, generally anything from 20-35% depending on the listing. That's another interesting tweak: you can choose to offer a higher commission in exchange for wider distribution. The higher you go up the scale, the more registrars will pick up the sales feed.

The buyer is protected because once the sale goes through the transfer is instant and irrevokable. And since it's a fixed price system, the first the seller knows of a sale is when they get a "Your domain XYZ has sold" email. After a domain has been listed with DDN, there's nothing a seller can do to prevent a sale (unless they remove the domain from DDN again before said sale takes place)

The seller is protected because the domain ends up at the gaining registrar with standard conditions attached, including the no transfer within 60 days rule. So if anything weird shows up with the buyer's payment during that time, the transaction can simply be reversed and the domain sent back to the original owner at the original registrar.

I wouldn't want to see that level of commission taken (I'm comfortable at 10%) and ultimately the up-taker to the challenge would want to carve out as much market share as possible as a "Registrar".

Wouldn't it be great if Nominet did it?

Yes. What a brilliant use of some of the surplus from the 1- and 2-letter auction, if one takes place. Build the killer sales platform, with the added rock-solid reassurance that it's the Registry behind the scenes i.e. there won't be any hanky-panky with transfers and ownership changes.

Could force people to log into their Nominet management account to select/list names for sale, thus guaranteeing that the owners of the domains are also the people listing them! This could activate an extra flag in the Whois with a link straight to the for-sale page on Nominet's sales platform.

And the development of a vibrant, 100% cast-iron trustworthy aftermarket will do wonders to push the overall adoption of .co.uk domains. Nominet will be able to publish sales and enquiry stats, top sales, etc. and will easily drive home the message that decent .co.uk names are well worth paying for...

... and that in turn will lift the entire domain industry in the UK, as well as doing wonders for the credibility of resellers.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to see that level of commission taken (I'm comfortable at 10%) and ultimately the up-taker to the challenge would want to carve out as much market share as possible as a "Registrar".

The tradeoff is more commission for more distribution. Smaller partners will accept a lower commission. Huge partners, like Godaddy - which will get the domains in front of millions of potential customers through their Whois system - demand a higher cut but in return dramatically increase the probability of a sale.

Better to give away a 35% slice of regular sales than 10% of nothing because nobody found the domain tucked away on an obscure registrar (DDN is integrated at the registration/whois lookup level)

Well I am sure they will have the good will of the rest of us and we'll all do everything we can to help them with it.

I certainly hope they make it happen.

The tradeoff is more commission for more distribution. Smaller partners will accept a lower commission. Huge partners, like Godaddy - which will get the domains in front of millions of potential customers through their Whois system - demand a higher cut but in return dramatically increase the probability of a sale.

Better to give away a 35% slice of regular sales than 10% of nothing because nobody found the domain tucked away on an obscure registrar (DDN is integrated at the registration/whois lookup level)

I just don't feel it would be necessary for the .uk market. From what I've heard and seen of DDN it hasn't been a resounding success.

Hmm - if it was done by Nominet, it could be fed through to all the registrars via the DAC. So if you're checking the availability but it's registered (and it's for sale), the DAC also returns the fact it's on the aftermarket and the price.

So all the big boys like 123, 1&1, etc would have access to the inventory and be able to market to people searching for domains.

It's a win win!

It's very easy to be generous with money once you have it. If paying a distribution partner 20% or 30% commission means that you sell 10 domains a month instead of 1 (for example) then it could be money well spent. And in the DDN case, as I explained, you get to tweak the commission yourself to suit your level of risk/reward (you get to keep most of the money at a lower level, but risk having few/no sales because the big partners won't list your domains).

If anyone does take on the task of building a Sedo-killer, it would probably be good to set a sensible minimum sale price (e.g. 500 pounds) so that...
A) The site doesn't get too cluttered with absolute junk
B) It starts to establish in visitors' minds that "yes, .co.uk domains really are worth significantly more than regfee" (remember, end users may not be sophisticated enough to make an educated differential between a 50 pound domain and a 5,000 domain, even though to an industry professional the difference is instantly obvious
C) It guarantees a sensible minimum commission for the company running the platform (e.g. 100 pounds minimum commission if it's set at 20%), and that in turn should anchor better support and hand-holding (which all costs money, lots of it!) during the sales process. It would also fund more pro-active marketing to promote the availability of better names.

But the #1 differential, as I said earlier, must be selectivity: as soon as you open the floodgates and accept every name no matter how lousy, you've set in motion an avalanche that is going to end up burying potential buyers in mountains of junk names (as happens on all the major aftermarket sites that have no listing quality qualifiers in place).

Perhaps one option would be to introduce a listing fee, e.g. 10 pounds per domain. That should be sufficient deterrent to keep the worst dregs out of the market, while not inconveniencing the holders of decent portfolios in the slightest.

Hmm - if it was done by Nominet, it could be fed through to all the registrars via the DAC. So if you're checking the availability but it's registered (and it's for sale), the DAC also returns the fact it's on the aftermarket and the price.

So all the big boys like 123, 1&1, etc would have access to the inventory and be able to market to people searching for domains.

It's a win win!

Yep, that's a perfectly credible scenario. And if the registrar that brings the buyer gets a cut of the proceeds (e.g. by credits offset against their Nominet billing, with cash payment adjustments if necessary) then that's a huge incentive for registrars to cooperate.

The bigger the registrar, the larger the potential payoff. Done really well, the aftermarket revenue share that a large registrar was entitled to might even come to dwarf their registration/renewal fee revenue - and it's 100% "found money" as they would have to do almost nothing at all to claim their share of it, except for tweak their Whois/registration process a little to account for the possibility of names being indicated as for sale on the aftermarket.

So instead of an available/registered indication, they would provide an available/for sale/registered indication - with the "for sale" taking clients over to Nominet's central platform for the sale.

So instead of an available/registered indication, they would provide an available/for sale/registered indication - with the "for sale" taking clients over to Nominet's central platform for the sale.

they have something like this over at eurodns, so if you search a domain it comes up with unavailable/available or a link though to sedo if its for sale there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom