Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.UK (Warning: not for over 40s)

Although I personally like the neatness of .uk and the way it is 'what it says on the packet' - eg: it clearly states it's the national domain - my instincts suggest to me that for very many businesses, less informed people still regard .co.uk as the "official" and most important suffix, with .uk as an afterthought. This may change over time, I have absolutely no idea.

That said, as I have mentioned before, I believe .uk is better for various non-corporate websites - particularly in my own field, which is religious domains. Jesus.co.uk just sounds a bit "off" because of the clash between the religious theme and business/money. In contrast Jesus.uk cuts loose from that slightly jarring clash with business, and is a better match for a site about religion in the UK. Same with prayer, same with the Holy Spirit, same also with various other terms beyond the religious ones.

In most cases, it's the business domains that are more likely to generate the big money, and therefore be in greater demand, so I think .co.uk is likely to remain more valuable in most cases, for the foreseeable future. I say that, even though I personally prefer the compact .uk

For domainers late to the party, .uk offers the opportunity to invest in names that may still generate some profit. The likely release of hundreds of thousands of .uk domains this coming September (the ones mass registered without the authorisation of the .co.uk name holders by registrars like Fasthosts and Ionos 1&1) offers some very decent names likely to fetch £100s or in some cases £1000+.

Of course, Nominet has questions to answer on that one:
(a) Why they gave the go ahead for those mass-registrations, where the "registrant" hadn't agreed to the Nominet terms or the acquisition at all? And why those mass registrations were facilitated by a 'no cost' period, allowing the names to be registered for free?
(b) Whether any steps will be taken to tighten rules, to prevent any cartels gaming the system, and sweeping up so many names at the expense of other people?

Anyway, I think .co.uk will generally be more valuable than .uk for the coming years.

One other thought crosses my mind: will those hundreds of thousands of free .uk domains be attributed to Fasthosts and Ionos 1&1 when it comes to calculating the weighted voting rights in the coming NED election? Technically they will have just passed their renewal date at that stage, but still be controlled by the registrars. Also, I'm not clear what the ceiling is (if any) when it comes to weighted votes.

There is also another possibility, which I'm waiting to see the outcome of, having spoken to the Fasthosts rep at the Members' Lunch in Birmingham. I fronted him on the question of whether they would release all those names, and he was frank enough to say that was something they were reviewing and they hadn't made up their minds. I suspect they will - because of the negative PR effects of trying to monetise the 'land grab' last year - but when I spoke to him, that was not a foregone conclusion. There are various other registrars who took the same approach as Fasthosts. Will they all release those .uk domains?

In my view, returning to the original post, the best way of promoting .uk as a suffix with value, is if domains actually get developed into sites that the public access. If the majority of .uk domains get warehoused, awaiting a random purchase at the desired price, then in one sense .uk becomes a kind of graveyard of mostly unused domains, or domains just used to point to the existing .co.uk

That doesn't make .uk look like the primary suffix.

Most 'Government' related sites are on .UK domains.

I wonder why the 'Royal Family' took the family out of their domain name. Genuinely curios about that. Maybe just a short/cleaner look?

Perhaps the .co part of .co.uk meaning company or commercial and .UK sits better with them?

If we're really talking long-term i.e. a scale of many years, it's also worth thinking what could happen if Scotland were to gain independence. Does the "United Kingdom" even continue to exist as a concept then? And if not, what would that mean for the .uk extension?
They can use existing .scot or create .jock

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom