Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone heard any news about registration volumes since the emails started going out?

Anyone heard any news about registration volumes since the emails started going out?

I doubt it will have made too much difference because registrars sent out emails originally going back to "pre-order you .uk today!", even if nominet didn't

Why Nom don't spend some of the spare millions they've got kicking around on pushing .uk is beyond me.

- Rob

P.S. Thanks from me too, Edwin.

Interesting reading. The emails from Nominet appear to be making zero difference, as expected.

For me it's because of public confusion. You need a groundswell of support to justify it - and there isn't any.

Anyone any thoughts on why people aren't swapping to .uk given that it's shorter and arguably more aesthetically pleasing. Is it a fear of Google? No one cares? Ignorance?

From my recent experience most of Joe Public hasn't got a clue about it.
Plus the fact that no big UK site has swapped over doesn't help educate Joe P.

Anyone any thoughts on why people aren't swapping to .uk given that it's shorter and arguably more aesthetically pleasing. Is it a fear of Google? No one cares? Ignorance?

Why risk everything over a shorter name? For me doesn't make sense to move unless there's a penalty on the original. If you're dependant on G that is.

New sites a different matter, but then bashing out new ones ain't what it used to be!

There was little enthusiasm for .uk before the launch so the slow adoption now was all fairly predictable. Joe Public didn't care either way and wasn't consulted anyway. The domain community were overwhelmingly against it. Nominet were the main ones pushing for .uk and wouldn't take no for an answer. The cartel of big registrars who are the only members Nominet needs to listen to as they have a de facto "controlling interest" had nothing to lose and the possibility of gains down the line so were happy to go along with it. Nominet know that even if no sites switch to .uk, 5 years down the line the owners of all the good names will be paying double the reg fees to protect their .co.uk domains' .uk counterparts so they'll get a guaranteed increase in revenue.

Why Nom don't spend some of the spare millions they've got kicking around on pushing .uk is beyond me.

- Rob

P.S. Thanks from me too, Edwin.
Because they don't want to kill the revenue from co.uk :) or have everyone thinking hang on is this kings new suit slowly introduce it let natural winner start to emerge then screw the f outta it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom