Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Utrecht.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just sold Utrecht.co.uk for £325 from the wanted section on here.

I thought it was a nice little sale, for a decent-sized europaean city (10th richest in europe I believe).

Cheers,

Steve.

Nice sale / purchase for the buyer :) Win win.

Yes, definitely a nice deal.

I think there's plans to develop a site, so it'll be good to see how it turns out.

I gather Utrecht has the largest university in the netherlands.

Wow, have you seen how Cancun is getting on in the sedo auction ? £2800 with the best part of 4 days to go.

I was looking at the number of chinese cities I'd never heard of with over a million inhabitants - mindblowing !

Don't know how many will become popular with the brits though.

Cheers,

Steve.

How much have other city domains been making?
Personally I think that Utrecht might be a bit on the cheap side at £325. £500 would have been a decent price, but of course someone has to pay the price. So if you are happy with £325 , then fair enough!! A deal is a deal!! Utrecht is an important city. They hold a major European travel fair there with stands for organisations like VisitWales, which is the national tourism body that replaced the Wales Tourist Board.

Utrecht is in central Netherlands. I have visit-netherlands.com. The official site for the country is visitholland.com , but of course , Holland [North Holland and South Holland ] makes up only two provinces of the Netherlands [ around Amsterdam] . So the country is not being accurate in marketing itself as visitholland.com. Utrecht is a major city in the Netherlands......but it is NOT in Holland!!

Hi Redkite.

Long time no speak ! Hope all is well at Cardigan Island. Sounds like it was a very shrewd move switching from farming.

Have you seen any leatherback turtles in Cardigan Bay ? I've heard they've been making an appearance, facing a threat from plastic bags which they mistake for jellyfish. I find that tragic.

Re. Utrecht, yes I agreee with you, it does seem an important city. I'm new to domaining but my feeling was the value was limited by the relatively modest type-in traffic from the UK - however, I didn't really haggle on the price, so perhaps there may have been a bit more in it. I was happy with what I got though.

Incidently, I've picked up 3 more - Amiens.co.uk, Nijmegen.co.uk and Groningen.co.uk. Wrong thread, I know, but if anyone's interested in these please PM me.

Very interesting re. Holland/Netherlands. So from what you say Holland isn't actually a country - it's a region within a country ? Or is it essentially a different country ? How very confusing.

I don't wish to reinforce any stereotypes but I only have 1 really good dutch friend - he is absolutely obsessed with clocks, puts me to sleep ! -

- ' You know Steve...You have the most amazing clock in your country....The Greenwich Clock...Wow, what a clock..Do you know how they clean such a clock ? Let me explain (Oh do you have to ??)......etc.etc.'

Great guy though.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Redkite.

Incidently, I've picked up 3 more - Amiens.co.uk, Nijmegen.co.uk and Groningen.co.uk. Wrong thread, I know, but if anyone's interested in these please PM me

Not after buying these but would be interesting to see what they go for ?

- ' You know Steve...You have the most amazing clock in your country....The Greenwich Clock...Wow, what a clock..Do you know how they clean such a clock ? Let me explain (Oh do you have to ??)......etc.etc.'

Made me laugh lol

Steve.

Tick tock tick tock :cool:

Tilburg.tv for sale, also tilburg.tel

Tilburg is the 6th largest city of the Netherlands, so if you have some interest?

Steve,
Holland is not really confusing. North Holland and South Holland are only two PROVINCES of the Netherlands . However, traditionally some people call the country Holland. Remember, that much of the Netherlands is relativeley new, reclaimed from the sea using Polders.
Calling the Netherlands "Holland" is akin to calling the United Kingdom "England" . Tell the Scots, Welsh and Ulstermen they live in "England" !! The Yanks OFTEN try to say so!!
Tell Frieslanders they live in Holland!! Same thing!!!
The car registration of that country is NL , not HO !! It is Netherlands in the International codes in your phone book and Netherlands in your Times or National Geographic atlas!! It is NEDERLAND to the Dutch!! It is the Netherlands Olympic team...........but,confusingly, the soccer team is often Holland !!! ??

Check Netherlands and Holland on Wikipedia. I think there is a map there.
That is why I regard my domain visit-netherlands.com as being very valuabe to market ANYTHING in that country. In my estimation , the Dutch government is being extremely STUPID and penny-pinching .....and SHORT-SIGHTED in not snapping up my domain. Out of interest , put "Holland" into Google. Then put "Netherlands" in. See the results !!

As for Leatherback turtles, they swim from the Caribbean towards Tremadog bay in the nort-west "arm-pit" of Cardigan Bay after the jellyfish, not our area. I have seen SUNFISH swim past on a few occasions. Bottlenose dolphins are a regular sight off our cliffs as they chase sewin or sea trout into the Teifi Estuary. The Atlantic Grey Seals live in our caves [ below the farm park ] . We saw Orca......Killer Whales ...pass by half a mile out a few years ago. The odd basking shark comes close and porpoises are regulars. We have rare Choughs [ members of the crow family with red legs and beaks] here too. Buzzards are ever present and we had a Red Kite here the other day.......chased off by a murder of crows [ collective name for crows].

Cardigan Bay is the biggest bay in the British Isles. I have visitbritishisles ; visitunitedkingdom.co.uk ; visit-greatbritain.com and visit-netherlands.com to cover all these important geographical entities.
If anyone tells me they are not important, then my judgment of world names and the DOMINANT "visit" prefix , highly thought of in tourism, must be really askew.
I see people registering all sorts of obscure generic non-entities on this forum and wonder where the common-sense is. I do not regard your geo-domains as non-entities because they can have a very direct marketing function. Have you tried selling them to the Dutch directly ?

so who jumped on the bandwagon and registered groningen.co.uk in the last few days then??

Hi Pendragon,

Yes, the minute I sold Utrecht I did another sweep of europe and picked up Amiens, Groningen and Nijmegen. So I jumped on my own bandwagon I suppose. They were just sitting there. I will find out in time if it's for good reason !

Oh well, just have to see if there's any interest.

DoodleBug - Yeah, it made me smile too, and I was there. Unfortunately, he looks just like Dom Jolly doing his Trigger Happy bemused tourist in the park thing, oh and he smokes a huge pipe, reserved for that special occassion -

Dinner Time !!

Oh yes, chicken salad with a hint of Old Hoburn...Mmmmm...Lovely !

I had a look at your funny site by the way. That is hilarious ! Respect to you -that must take some serious bottle. I bet the adrenaline is really buzzing. Do you get nervous before jumping on the pitch ? I'd be terrified of making a cock-up if you'll pardon the pun.

Life's for living though isn't it ? !

Redkite - Another very interesting post. Sunfish are magnificent aren't they ? Was it on it's side near the surface ?

I haven't tried selling directly to the Dutch. Would you recommend it ? Would you approach their tourist board ? If so, do you have an approach letter that you use ?

Peet - Thanks for the offer, but not for me thanks. Wanting to get rid of a few at the moment. Perhaps others on here will be interested.

Cheers,

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts