Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Voucher codes stealing commissions, or are they?

Reaction score
I have sent over 2000 clicks to a well known supplier of a product via affiliate links in the last 12 months from a strong product related website I have. The clicks are deep linked to the matching product page. The conversion rate I have received is really low. 0.04 pence per click, yet the site claims average click rate payout is over £1.20 per click. So you can see why it may look suspect. (or am i doing something wrong i keep asking myself)

On further investegation i see at the checkout the page it asks if you have a coupon code. So the obvious thing to consider is that people are then going off to look for coupon codes for the product. I then loose the commision as im not the last click.
I contact the company and complain that im loosing the commission to people looking for coupons (i mean who wouldnt look for one to save money) but the company say they dont offer coupons.
I then complain again that if they dont offer them why do they have a box for applying a coupon code if you dont offer them.
No reply. I complain again.. no reply. this happens time and time again all to no avail. Nothing changes.
Now i could leave the affiliate network for that product or complain to the affiliate network that hosts the company but i persist with it hoping they will change but again 6 months later and a further 400 plus clicks to the website, still a miserly 4 pence per click with just one sale. Still the website offers a coupon box at the checkout but yet after again complaining they say they dont offer coupons. But still they dont remove the coupons code box at the checkout.

I begin to think about it for a while with a suspicious mind.....

Is it possible that the seller knows that people are searching for coupons and then loosing the affiliates commission thus saving themselves money. As they won't pay on the last click brought to them through coupon codes or could they posibly be playing dirty and setting up ghost affiliates that they themselves own, they then get the good conversion rates so it looks good on paper but they dont actually pay anybody but themselves and the hosting network.
The commision rate is 10%. Which breaks down as 6% to the affiliate and 4% to the network. If they pay the network 4% to keep them sweet but save 6% paid to the affiliate it adds up to a very tidy sum as the commission on products can be anywhere between $xx-£xxx per sale.

I suspect there is foul play somewhere.

What do you think, is it a possibility?

*when i say voucher codes i mean voucher code and coupon websites, not specificaly vouchercodes/co/uk

Last edited:
I spent a little time talking the affiliate manager of large company, which has a name not unlike TheShack who have a sports nutrition company. They were saying the VAST majority of affiliate clicks use a discount code not issued to affiliates. In this instance they didn't pay out where a non-official code were used. They changed their program and the commission is cut massively where a code is used.

Have you searched to see if codes are available elsewhere ?

hello SB and Skinner,
Thanks for the reply...
yes looked into it and they nearly all offer coupons for the products, and i have complained to the affiliate manager but he says that they are void and dont contain affiliate id's. I told him that they will proberbly mask the affiliate id somehow but he reassures me that that cant happen.
I told him that people wont just offer coupons and vouchers without a gain for themselves in some way or other but he id adament that he is right.

Most voucher code sites, when you click to reveal the code they leave a cookie with the aff code in. Down to how the program is run, their aff code could be over writing your own. Some programs run so the original ID always wins, others the last ID.

I wouldn't waste your time complaining, your volume isn't worth their time, if you were sending 2000 a day, maybe they would listen, I would just find another vendor an see how you get on.

I agree with what you say Skinner,
I suspect that the merchant is using voucher codes on the checkout page to get people to search for vouchers that are void when clicked, thus getting the last click and then saving paying any commission to the affiliate. otherwise why wouldnt the merchant remove the 'apply voucher code' if they dont have a voucher code policy
I should find another vendor, your right but it bugs me when i smell a rat and feel conned.
but hey...thats life ;-)

Large coupon sites may also get granted custom coupons that will "track" back to them as the originator of the sale, so they don't need to use actual affiliate links.

The most successful brands in the sectors we work in are the ones who look after affiliates.
Treating us badly is short sighted

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom