Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

VPS > Cloud Hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a current VPS with WHB, I'm thinking of changing to cloud hosting (e.g. TSO look good and it's cheaper).

Would it be an overall advantage or disadvantage?

Or, is that a difficult/too generalised question?!

Thanks. :D

Dropping from VPS to Cloud (presumably shared) may result in slower speeds, reliability issues, more risk of hacks and of course little option when it comes to server wide software updates. However, I've never had any issues with using either method, so I guess it depends how important to site you are running is. I've had a very successful business run from shared hosting (no customer data stored, so no worries there) because it was too much of a pain to switch after it became large but apart from the odd hiccup, it has been great. Having said that, when starting a new venture from scratch, I'd now be looking at VPS or dedicated without question...but for a few domain holding pages etc, shared/cloud works for me!

Don't know about WHB as never used them (some have mentioned on here they have gone off of late) but TSO have always been excellent for me (I have cpanel shared x 2 and vps with them).

Ive used cloud VPS's and normal VPS's with quite a few different hosts working with client sites and every time the Cloud ( supposedly scalable ) was more sluggish and hated any kind of spike or resource increase.

Ive used cloud VPS's and normal VPS's with quite a few different hosts working with client sites and every time the Cloud ( supposedly scalable ) was more sluggish and hated any kind of spike or resource increase.

I had a 'cloud' vps with Clook and experienced the same problem. It crashed at least once a week even though I had the exact same set up previously on a regular VPS that never crashed in 3 years.

We got a vps with vida, paid £40 and a setup fee of £29 I think. As their many adverts around forums said, we asked for it on the order notes to be set up at ld5 as guided to by their posts.

It took a week and 8-10 emails asking were we definitely at ld5 before they eventually admitted we were not.

They say they moved us there after a week of blagging and refusing to answer a direct are we there question but the trace times were a mile off the ones they post in forums.

£69 thrown down the drain as no refunds even if they did lie for a week and set it up against the order requirements.

Fed up seeing everyone post good comments when they ain't all that.

Fed up seeing everyone post good comments when they ain't all that.

Vidahost got a lot of traction a few years ago on the back of some good reviews. They used to be OK at dealing with stuff they weren't contractually obliged to but that became a bit of lottery eventually.

I always find recommendations and hosts a funny thing and would take other peoples opinions and reviews with a pinch of salt. A host that is good for one customer doesnt mean the next guy is going to think the same.

Its very dependant on the customers expectations, experience and believe it or not the side of bed they got of out that morning.

I know myself ive had a shitty day and kicked off at a host because of something taking alot longer than it should.........another day i would have probably been fine but its normally how the service provide reacts to that kick off which sets them apart.................the personal small business touch to defuse a situation which can be stressful for all is what many bigger hosts miss.

Thinking on, although we never got our money back they were very good at responding, so if you get what you pay for I guess they would be really good.

Cloud hosting is just a marketing trick.

There is no any major difference between VPS and cloud vps. You will only waste your money by moving to cloud vps.

I completely agree with AdamH comments.

It really depends on your requirement, Incase your requirement has increased dedicated server is much better choice I feel.

It says fully managed on the VPS, does that include security patches, LAMP updates, etc ? those are crazy good prices if it does. I should just email them but figured you've already checked :)

I have a site about to outgrow shared, its hitting resource limits mutliple times per day, and the basic vps (£108PA) costs not much more.

I bought another VPS with Smart Hosting in the end - fantastic support, great service and decent performance. :)

Hi

Our fully managed VPS service would cover all aspects of Linux and control panel security patches & updates.

This would also cover any performance tuning required from Apache / APC / NGINX / PHP & MYSQL etc to better suit your websites needed.

If you contact our support team we can guide you through the options and make recommendation based on the spec you require.

The important approach to take with a VPS as its dynamic and can scale its physical resource is to tune the core services (Apache / PHP Etc) to make the most of the spec.

Most of the time a small spec VPS tuned well will out perform a larger spec VPS which has no / limited tuning in place.

As all services we provide are managed, we can handle this for you.

Kind Regards
Smart

It says fully managed on the VPS, does that include security patches, LAMP updates, etc ? those are crazy good prices if it does. I should just email them but figured you've already checked :)

I have a site about to outgrow shared, its hitting resource limits mutliple times per day, and the basic vps (£108PA) costs not much more.

Yep, some good prices - custom build prices are good too. :)

Hi

Our fully managed VPS service would cover all aspects of Linux and control panel security patches & updates.

This would also cover any performance tuning required from Apache / APC / NGINX / PHP & MYSQL etc to better suit your websites needed.

If you contact our support team we can guide you through the options and make recommendation based on the spec you require.

The important approach to take with a VPS as its dynamic and can scale its physical resource is to tune the core services (Apache / PHP Etc) to make the most of the spec.

Most of the time a small spec VPS tuned well will out perform a larger spec VPS which has no / limited tuning in place.

As all services we provide are managed, we can handle this for you.

Kind Regards
Smart

Just got my 2nd VPS with these guys - highly recommended! :cool: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom