Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

VPS very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I recently got a VPS to host one of my larger Wordpress websites on.

The VPS runs on Directadmin, has 1 gig of memory but the site is very slow and sometimes parts of the site are not accesible or you need to refresh the page once or twice to get there.

Unfortunally it is an unmanaged VPS so the hosting company pretty much refuses to give me any help in sorting things.

Is there anybody on this forum who knows how to tweak a VPS to make sure it performs as it should be?

Willing to pay for help.

Thanks

Worth checking with the host company as it may be an issue with another VPS on your host node. If you get an overloaded host node, then a VPS will suffer in just the same way as a site on an overloaded reseller account.

1Gb should be more than sufficient for a reasonable sized WP site. Have you checked that there's not an issue with a widget (I had a customer with so many bits added that were doing a lot of unnecessary database requests that it slowed things down)

Try disabling all Plugins and see if it improves.

Is it Windows or linux?

I've had issues with url re-writing consuming huge amounts of CPU time in the past so maybe see what the performance is like with it turned off..

I recently got a VPS to host one of my larger Wordpress websites on.

The VPS runs on Directadmin, has 1 gig of memory but the site is very slow and sometimes parts of the site are not accesible or you need to refresh the page once or twice to get there.

Unfortunally it is an unmanaged VPS so the hosting company pretty much refuses to give me any help in sorting things.

Is there anybody on this forum who knows how to tweak a VPS to make sure it performs as it should be?

Willing to pay for help.

Thanks

DirectAdmin has a smaller memory footprint than, say, cPanel but even so, DA + the OS will be using several hundred megs of RAM. This potentially leaves your WordPress with just 600-700MB to use which it can quickly eat through.

Some pointers:

- Enable caching plugins, disable the rest
- Update WordPress to the latest plugin
- See if using CloudFlare or similar helps take off the load

If none of these work, try upgrading the RAM. And/or switch to a hosting company that can help you identify the source of the memory usage.

Matt

There's always a fair bit more to setting up a vps. If you're using linux then it's likely that you're using the default apache & mysql configurations.

They're fine in most instances but memory usage can mean that apache soaks up a lot of memory. For mysql the key & query buffers can be tweaked to utilise memory better.

I'd strongly recommend that an opcode cacher is installed. XCache is my one of choice at the moment. This really speeds things up, and most of the caching plugins for wordpress support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom