Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As most of you know, I've been writing content for a good while now.

A couple of days ago I decided to quickly browse through some of the content that I done for people months ago - just out of interest to see whether it has been used yet or not (I copied and pasted a paragraph in to Google for example).

I noticed that there were a few articles that haven't been used yet, so what I want to ask is: Would you let the person know that it hasn't been used yet or would you just leave it?

Obviously it makes no difference to me whether the content is published or not, but would it be a nice thing to let them know? (Of course they could have plans to publish it in the near future, but after let's say 6 months they've probably just forgot about it)

I'd leave as is.

It may seem as if you're questioning their judgement on why they didn't use your content

Plus it sounds a little 'snoopy'

If it was me I'd have forgotten, and would be pleased to have a little reminder - a good bit of customer service! Plus a chance to re-engage the customer and maybe get some repeat business?

Jay

Two replies and I agree completely with both of you lol.

I'm guessing that 50% of people would be delighted if I reminded them but the other 50% wouldn't like it very much.

defo remind them and let them know. Just incase they've lost/forgot the content. Like said above might get you more work also. I would appreciate a reminder!

Well Jamie, with my content business, as soon as its paid for and handed over to the customer, it becomes the full property of the customer. So I don't see it as my concern whether they use it or not.

On the odd occasion your content may have also been used for a leaflet or flyer, or maybe even in a magazine, newspaper or other printed material, so it may not necessarily be on the internet.

Thanks everyone, some good points mentioned.

It's one of those things that is hard to decide about but maybe I'm better off just leaving it. Personally I'd like to be reminded though (if I was the customer), seems like a shame to let money go to waste but there's not much I can do I suppose.

I've ordered content on a few occasions when it's been "not good enough to use, not bad enough to really complain" so I've just quietly stuck it in a file and forgotten about it.

Not trying to make you paranoid - I'm not suggesting that's the case here. I've also ordered content that I've somehow just never gotten around to using, even though I had every intention to at the time :)

(Oh, and sometimes I've ordered content that I've then used!)

I've also ordered content that I've somehow just never gotten around to using, even though I had every intention to at the time :)

Same

I've ordered content on a few occasions when it's been "not good enough to use, not bad enough to really complain" so I've just quietly stuck it in a file and forgotten about it.

Not trying to make you paranoid - I'm not suggesting that's the case here. I've also ordered content that I've somehow just never gotten around to using, even though I had every intention to at the time :)

Hopefully that's not the case in my situation about it not being good enough to use! I'm sure it's easy to save the content and then forget about it though. I've done it myself with content for my own sites.

Sometimes you get it for projects that are a test I know I ordered some content when I was testing fresh store builder I didn't end up using it cause that platform wasn't the best for me

I've had content written for a project, tried the project, got fed up and deleted the lot. Not a very good business practice but necessary on the success journey.

I wouldn't bother as long as they've paid you.

I would only contact the customers if you looked up the content and realised a mistake was in it - pasted in badly or a broken link or something. As a customer I'd appreciate that and want to fix it.

If they hadn't used the content at all then its probably a waste of time emailing to let them know - I'm sure they know they haven't used it yet. Not everyone is ordering content with a plan to use it immediately.

+1

Sometimes I think it's not been the content authors fault but probably my own for not specifying exactly what I needed in enough detail.

If anyone has content thats 'not quite good enough' for their own site, get an account on Postjoint.com and push it through there. You've already paid for the content anyway, why not get a link from it?

As most of you know, I've been writing content for a good while now.

A couple of days ago I decided to quickly browse through some of the content that I done for people months ago - just out of interest to see whether it has been used yet or not (I copied and pasted a paragraph in to Google for example).

I noticed that there were a few articles that haven't been used yet, so what I want to ask is: Would you let the person know that it hasn't been used yet or would you just leave it?

Obviously it makes no difference to me whether the content is published or not, but would it be a nice thing to let them know? (Of course they could have plans to publish it in the near future, but after let's say 6 months they've probably just forgot about it)

I'd not enquire further Jamie, you may offend accidentally. ;)

Also, the copy might have been used and not be in the 'public' eye or Google et al, etc. It might even be used offline (e.g. newsletter). Like you say it might be used on a future date too or discarded for whatever reason.

Although well intentioned, don't do it! As long as you've been paid for the work too! :)

I'd not enquire further Jamie, you may offend accidentally. ;)

Also, the copy might have been used and not be in the 'public' eye or Google et al, etc. It might even be used offline (e.g. newsletter). Like you say it might be used on a future date too or discarded for whatever reason.

Although well intentioned, don't do it! As long as you've been paid for the work too! :)

I completely agree with this.

There is a risk of offending which can hurt future business.

Also from my POV when I order content myself, it's because of having no time to write something (even better) myself. Paying a little for a reasonable article is very convenient. So really, you're not just selling words, you're selling convenience. If you then start emailing me to question my use, or to make me think you're snooping on me, then it becomes hassle. Reducing the convenience.

If you wanted to build your service around reminders you could offer it when people request articles/signup. You could even keep all the articles behind a login where members could reaccess them. Then send put general reminders about "don't forget we store your articles for convenience", instead of "we've looked for your article through google and couldn't find it, are you using it/want another copy?".

Goodluck and you always gave me great copy that I used straight away, thanks :)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone, Acorn never disappoints when you ask a question like this :)

I don't think I'll be contacting anyone about this after reading through the replies.

If you do follow WoopWoops advice and create an online login, it would perhaps be more valuable to add in notifications when you find the content twice, rather than nowhere at all.

Nowhere at all likely means the buyer simply hasn't it yet, and is fully aware. Finding it twice likely means someone else has stolen it. Content theft like this is a massive issue for web masters, moreso when Google are firing out penalties or filters for duplicate content. Services like Copyscape.com can be used to combat it, and have API's you can use to automate it. There are a few copycats doing what Copyscape do now, and are a fair bit cheaper. Can't remember their names off the top of my head though.

A difficult one Jamie, as nice as the gesture may seem, How do you put it into words to say, "By the way you haven't used my written and paid for content as yet"

Bit like asking why you wasn't asked to be a 'Bridesmaid' at a best friends wedding - Can so easily lead to embarrassment all-round. Best to just leave-it

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom