Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What's Nominet going to do with the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone thats a TAG holder who didn't attend the EGM should watch the webcast at 01:17:30 on "informal discussions" where Lesley Cowley and Bob Gilbert reply to Peter Gradwell's question on what will Nominet do with the money either setup a Wellcome type trust The Wellcome Trust (giving back to the internet community) or lowing prices (not very popular by non-domainers).

EGM webcast

After all it's our membership fees, DRS fees, DAC fees, renewal fees, transfer fees and maybe now ENUM fees...... they are going to spend.

I think Andrew and others have raised some very valid points at the EGM, though on that occassion I gave Nominet the benefit of the doubt and voted "yes." There was some "moral suasion" not to be seen holding Nominet back.

"There is also a rich seam of interest in the money that Nominet makes - as a not-for-profit company protected from the madness of the past decade by its restrictive rules"

The fact is the market price for UK domain is around £5-6 of which Nominet
swipes a fiver. So for the vast majority of Nominet resellers UK domain reselling is a loss leader subsidised by other activities such as selling hosting and other domains.

I think for Nominet to continue accumulating cash or to use to fund and acquisitions or other activities would be slightly immoral while this remains the case. The Trust sounds a good idea but would also hand Nominet a considerable PR opportunity paid for by the domain selling members.

On the other hand I'm not sure cutting domain prices is the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom