Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

What's wrong with these extensions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Why do the below extensions normally remain unregistered, even on big keyword terms? What's so bad about them?

.name
.uk.com
.uk.net
.eu.com
.gb.com
.gb.net

Thanks for any insight.

Why do the below extensions normally remain unregistered, even on big keyword terms? What's so bad about them?

.name
.uk.com
.uk.net
.eu.com
.gb.com
.gb.net

Thanks for any insight.

all apart from .name are not extensions , rather subdomains. There are examples of previous ventures going titsup.

I can rent you a big keyword on a few subdomains of mine if you like... :)

I thought these type of subs don't get much notice from search engines ?
Some companies use them for some strange reason like bookshop the works have theworks.gb.com and Avon have something like Avon.uk.com, let me guess, their marketing company choose it for them and then charged them a fortune in SEO fees

So the subdomain ones aren't too hot for SEO then??

I dont have any solid evidence but am sure there is some out there - google et al probably counter such falstensions with a filter.

From the investment point of view I cannot see anyone putting cash into something so unstable, likewise if a domainer wont do that, how on earth would you convince someone to build a business on it :)

I bought my first ever .uk.net the other day. I intend to build a site on it so we'll see how they do SEO wise ... I don't think I am over exposed to this type of domain ... they're a bit pricey too!

Rgds

Top keywords available in subs

boxes.eu.com, spanners.eu.com and Yorkshire.eu.com for example are available to reg
but why would you want them ? = you wouldn't
Rob** are you aware of any high priced sold .eu.coms mate ?

boxes.eu.com, spanners.eu.com and Yorkshire.eu.com for example are available to reg
but why would you want them ? = you wouldn't
Rob** are you aware of any high priced sold .eu.coms mate ?

Cant think of any off hand, uk.com has had a couple of sales but eu.com just seems even more bizzare.

Its when you see a van drive past with BobPlumber.uk.com with a [email protected] address you really want to educate people about t'internet ;)

Didn't think there would be much sales, Cheers !!! do you have a number for bob the plumber or joe the plumber lol
images
I'M A REAL SUCKER !!!

I have never had anything to do with them personally, from an SEO point of view its a sub domain, although sub domains seem to carry a little more weight than a directory for example weddings.flowers.com would carry a little more weight than flowers.com/weddings but it is only a little.

If it carried the same weight as a TLD then you would see URLS like weddings.flowers.com and funerals.flowers.com top spot at google all the time.

Another point is; google used to consider sub domains as a separate entity, now it doesn't (not quite sure how that can work for blogs :confused:) but on that basis they can not be good for SEO.

all in all way to many grey areas, and you could get great SERPS only to find a slight change in the way SE's treat sub domains wipe you off the board.

I would steer well clear

Another point is; google used to consider sub domains as a separate entity, now it doesn't

It still does consider sub domains as separate entity/website.

As an example - google will not allow more then 2 places for the same website on a particular serps page.

Type in ebay on google.co.uk and ebay.co.uk will show up 4 places on the first page of the serps (5 places if your hit "pages from the UK") due to separate sub domains.

-Ben

can you give us another example, ebay is probably the exception to the rule

facebook.com - 5 results in serps for search "facebook"
msn.com - 5 results in serps for search "msn"
bbc.co.uk - 4 results in serps for search "bbc"
boots.com - 3 results in serps for search "boots"
woolworths.co.uk - 3 results in for search "woolworths"
skysports.com - 3 results in serps for search "sky sports"

I wouldnt be too quick to poo-poo them. Anyone in the uk heard of Gregory distribution? You probably have and they use .uk.com. (Is it just me who now constantly looks at ever van/truck/etc I pass to see what the use or do we all do it?!?)

I wouldnt be too quick to poo-poo them. Anyone in the uk heard of Gregory distribution? You probably have and they use .uk.com. (Is it just me who now constantly looks at ever van/truck/etc I pass to see what the use or do we all do it?!?)

you are has bad as me ;),i was looking a van rental company the other day and it had 1car1 car and van rental,i feel like screaming at them that there must be better domains available....:mad:

I think these "subdomains" rather than "domains" aren't very good from an SEO point of view, but they're useful if for example your company name is already taken and you definitely want to have a domain (as short as possible) with the name in it.. so chairs.gb.com is not that bad for the owner of a chair shop who wants to have a little website with the contact details to his chair shop

you are has bad as me ;),i was looking a van rental company the other day and it had 1car1 car and van rental,i feel like screaming at them that there must be better domains available....:mad:

Ive also seen that :confused: and they may have even paid somene good money to come up with that.

Agree Alex, but 'gb' would be my very last choice, I would always go for UK first.

GAME always used to use game.uk.com before the stumped up the cash for the .co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom