Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

When does it become cost effective to have your own TAG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've got around 80 domains spread across 3 registrars at the moment. At what point is it more cost effective and easier to manage by having your own TAG?

It is only beneficial if you have nominet membership also.

So the 80 domains you have, say you pay your registrars £7 each for renewals, that is £1 more than you would spend with nominet direct.

So £40 a year more.

It costs £120 a year to stay a nominet member, so not worth it on that basis.

If however, you intend to buy more domains and even though I doubt it will happen myself, the dot uk is launched, you will probably save more.

So taking a standard 4 year roi for fees etc, I guess 450-500 domains would make it beneficial and cost effective.

Ps

If you do see yourself getting to those levels over the next year or two then its makes sense to get membership tag as soon as its economically possible.

Last edited:
As Caz says. Having a tag is easy, but you pay non-discounted renewal rates. Still it might work if you have a handful of domains and can be bothered transferring them to a public registrar, renewing them, and then transferring back to your tag.

Otherwise factor in the cost of Nominet membership, and in the current climate whether it's worth the upfront cost and annual charge.

Depends if you want to use it to chase/catch/sell domains or just for your own existing regs. Then, as said, it would depend upon how many you have.

Having a TAG is not just for the financial element, by having membership and a TAG gives you control, no dependency on 3rd party systems.

If you add up the time spend on 3rd party control panels, managing renewals and so on, even at minimum wage the time adds up, when something goes wrong (as we often hear), then time gets eaten up very quickly.

Superb advice everyone, thanks for clearing that up!

For now I'll stick with them being held where they are.

Putting aside the pure financial benefits based on number of domain names held, tag holders get a credit limit so one can buy now and pay later. Management is easy via the web manager and probably better than anything else out there. Security is between you and Nominet only and, being the registrar, there's no chance of another registrar making a mistake with one of your registrations. If one only owns a single valuable domain name it might still be considered a good use of £120 p/a to manage it via ones own Nominet membership and associated tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts