Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Why is my domain on SEDO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I came across SEDO by accident and saw that one of the domains I own is on there for sale. How can that be and what should I do to get it removed?

It certainly is registered to me and may be worth selling (a three letter co.uk that I believe will be in demand shortly)

Last edited:
There are loads like that, I have emailed owners asking if they know its for sale and they didnt.

I notify sedo and the names are still up there.

Personally if there is someone listing a domain which is not theirs, and has never been, I would ask questions of why sedo allow them as members.

I can't see why anyone would want to list a domain that they didn't own unless I'm missing something, how can they benefit?

If someone agreed to buy it would sedo contact domain owner (via email at domain name) or registered member who put up for sale?

I assume the latter but what's the point?

redbird said:
I can't see why anyone would want to list a domain that they didn't own unless I'm missing something, how can they benefit?

If someone agreed to buy it would sedo contact domain owner (via email at domain name) or registered member who put up for sale?

I assume the latter but what's the point?
if the domain is getting traffic & clicks.. the sedo member using your name will be getting the ppc revenue.. he may not be interested in the sale!

How long have you owned the domain?

Is it possible that it was previously owned by someone else who had put the name up for sale on sedo?

I often register domains that are still listed in someones sedo account (i.e. the person who had decided not to renew the domain). I've not had any problems in getting sedo to check the whois and transfer over to my account. An email should sort out.

Well quite possibly what could of been happening was the hoax seller listed the domain name in there account - therefore they would get the email from sedo to say that the name had interest, and then the hoax seller could of started to barter with the honest buyer.

The hoax seller could request the transfer documents and signs them (of course falsely) and then gets paid.

Before you realise the names gone! I remember reading on here where by a co.uk was hijacked.

Its quite worrying to think that the honest buyer could end up loosing his money and many hours in lost time.

If you think about it, it would be a good place to sell a domain name you didn’t own.

Do sedo's systems not check the status of the whois upon entering the domain name, into your control panel?

Redbird, it's simple enough to do this scam.

See: www.getlisted.co.uk, this is a domain that has it's nameservers set as ns1.sedoparking.com etc, but the owner hasn't set up a sedo account, or hasn't loaded the domain into sedo's database.

Now a cheeky so and so could set up a fraudulent account and enter this domain, thereby creaming off free clicks. Obviously this is not allowed and if caught would have any funds removed from their account.

But I guess it does happen. There isn't much to stop it happening, apart from watching your domains closely.

Thanks for all your help, have PM'd SEDO so I'll see what response I get.
I have owned since June 2005 but have no idea if previously registered.

Name servers are still what they should be (not sedo's) and it does not redirect to Sedo so I don't see any way anyone could benefit.

redbird said:
Thanks for all your help, have PM'd SEDO so I'll see what response I get.
I have owned since June 2005 but have no idea if previously registered.

Name servers are still what they should be (not sedo's) and it does not redirect to Sedo so I don't see any way anyone could benefit.
if you are the registered owner on the whois record & the domain is pointing to where you want it to be... whats the big deal.??? I've seen dozens of domains that are still listed for sale on sedo that are gone (deleted or sold) and are pointing elsewhere?? as long as you are the registered owner, just email sedo & ask them to remove the listing.. :confused:

I'd just bought a domain, went to list it on sedo but it was already there. The previous person must've had it for sale. I asked sedo if they could get in touch with the people who had previously made a bid, but they said they couldn't do that. I bet they would have done if it was a 10K sale.

I guess it probably isn't the big deal I thought it was. I was just concerned to see my domain there. I am tempted to actually list it myself now to see what interest there is as I would sell with the right offer. But presumably Sedo won't allow two people to list it at the same time so i have to get the origianl sellers listing removed.

Hi Redbird

Just add the domain to your sedo account. Sedo will automatically say that they are verifying the domain. It then takes them about 24 hours to manually check the whois and it will be placed in your account. If you do it now it should be in your account by tomorrow.

Hi Nigel

Would doing that automatically remove from the other "sellers" account?

I wouldn't want to change nameservers etc. if the other seller was still going to be credited with traffic

Hi Redbird

If the domain is registered in your name and it corresponds with the contact details of your sedo account then sedo will put the domain in your sedo account once they check the whois to confirm that you are the registered owner. This often happens on domains we list with sedo. It will be removed from any other account the moment it is put in your account. Sedo will not list it in two accounts at the same time. You can then decide (thro' sedo's control panel whether or not you want it up for sale). If you've got any other questions email sedo - they've always responded to me quickly. Hope this helps.

I'd even be as bold as to lay claim to the funds in the scamsters account.

Hello there,

Well the domain in question has been removed. Occasionally domains are listed in other user's account when ownership has recently changed. We operate a system whereby each domain that is added to the Sedo data base is manually checked to ensure that they have been submitted by the rightful owner (I guess many of you will have received our 'Ownership Verification' email).

If two people happen to list the same domain, our system will alert us to this and the domain will not show on either account, until the issue has been resolved - i.e. one of our staff has checked the whois information against the member's account details.

This ensures that domains can only be listed by their rightful owners.

If you have any other questions relating to this, I'd be happy to help!

All the best!

David [email protected]

I can confirm that the domain has been removed.

Thanks to everyone for comments and help in bringing this to a speedy and satisfactory conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom