Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Would like to register a domain, getting a trademark notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
All,

"You have received this Trademark Notice because you have applied for a domain name which matches at least one trademark record submitted to the Trademark Clearinghouse."

The domain I'd like to register will be used for a completely different purpose - will I have any issues if I register and build a site?

Rich

Nothing systemic stops you from registering the domain so long as you acknowledge the full statement and agree to what it says.

However, the trademark holder is likely to receive an "alert" in short order that somebody has just registered a domain name that matches a trademark they've filed with ICANN's Trademark Clearinghouse. After that, their reaction will depend on their attitude towards defending their trademark rights. Also, they will have access to the URS, a cheaper, quicker version of the UDRP, if they choose to pursue the registrant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_Clearinghouse

In other words, nothing guarantees you will get into trouble or lose the domain name, but it greatly increases the probability that you will since it's impossible to use the "I didn't know about that trademark" defense as you had to acknowledge the existence of the trademark rights in order to proceed with the domain name registration in the first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom