Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

yes m'lady pens

Discussion in 'General Board' started by charlie, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie United Kingdom

charlie Well-Known Member

anyone watching the current brandname pen auction on sedo? current bid £2k surely this is an obvious brand name abuse?
    Auction Detail-Sedo.co.uk
    2k is a big openning bid? ;)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. dotNetFreak United Kingdom

dotNetFreak Well-Known Member

I noticed it the other day... Will be interesting to see who buys it!

4. fish United Kingdom

fish Well-Known Member

ballpointpens.co.uk 1,000 £

someone is into pens :shock:
    this one is currently at £1k - ballpointpens.co.uk

5. GreyWing

GreyWing Well-Known Member

surely the parker pens is a waste of money, surely a tm and if it is parker than is bidding, why not just drs it?

Strange one all round

6. FagEnd

FagEnd Banned

Sedo don't care about TM... They lay the blame on the person owning/parking/selling..

Only when it heats up will they do something... eg.. recently they banned a load of windows domains.... eg citynameWindows etc..

Sedo are useless, I've said this for years and I still agree with myself. ;)

7. charlie United Kingdom

i think they have to receive a complaint from the potential rights owner before doing anything about it. Strange they have no legal obligation to stop such auctions

if i tried to sell "london bridge" for someone i knew didn't have any rights to sell if - surely i'd get done as been involved with the fraud?

8. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

The problem with all these types of issues regarding domain names is that far too few have made it to the courts to form much case law. Therefore it's not entirely Sedos' fault if it isn't in a position to do a great deal about it, unless of course a huge multi-national flexes its legal teams muscles at them.

9. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

It might not be entirely sedos fault but turning the other cheek when there are blatant tm names being auctioned isn't a great policy in my view.

10. retired_member12

retired_member12 Retired Member

True, but those are issues that are handled by the various dispute resolution services that are in place. It's hardly fair on Sedo to conduct mini DRS type decisions in a matter where TM issues relating to class & use need to be considered. If a domain name is being sold 'blank' (not used), then it could be argued it is unfair to the seller to just pull it from sale when no clear abuse or use has taken place.

11. SF

SF Well-Known Member

The guys whos bidding on them has also been buying "promotional" names to ;)

Just dealt with him yesterday.. ;)

12. SF

SF Well-Known Member

Hes also got a really good domain name for his business, prob the best you can prob have - that should give you an indication ;)

13. devolution

devolution Active Member

I'm sure Laura would come after you ;)

Maybe the Parker pens people could be Parker themselves -- it's been known!

14. doodlebug United Kingdom

doodlebug Retired Member

Greedy

I tried listing a TM domain with Sedo a couple of years ago which was a typo and it came back saying this is a registered TM, i figure that TM owners can list there TMs plus typos with Sedo in order to block cyberquatters.

Problem with this is how many companies have contacting Sedo to list TMs on their to do list ? how many know about Sedo ?

Sedo should be more active, they're turning their backs on the issue in order to increase profits.

15. devolution

devolution Active Member

It all comes down to the first rule of business, profit at any cost. It's a bit like the Ferengi! :eek:
    Businesses can and will and do perform illegal/unethical acts if the profit is greater than the risk/fine at the end. Check out the documentary The Corporation - it's a chilling watch...

Plus with the new DomCollect outfit, they're hoovering up TM names like the best of em too...

16. SF

SF Well-Known Member

I got sedo to remove the auction for parkerpens.co.uk ;)

Oh and big thanks to Joanna from sedo!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  17. charlie United Kingdom

Nice one DB - i think sedo and nominet should work on this type of issue instead of relying on 3rd parties to point out the obvious negative aspect of this kind of sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.