Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Consultation on the scope of Nominet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Nominet is consulting on the future scope of Nominet. Given that many of us objected to the fact that we were not consulted prior to the EGM it seems only polite to respond now that we have been asked for our opinions.

This consultation only deals with the proposed changes to clause 3 of the Memorandum - also known as the Objects clause. That's the one where Nominet staged a PR disaster by forgetting to include .uk as one of it's core 'objects'. It's also the one that must be changed if Nominet is to be enabled to bid for ENUM.

I'm not going to suggest what your response should be but I am going to beg that if you are a Nominet member then you do make a response - even if it is only one sentence expressing a preference for one of the options presented.

I also think it would be good if people who are not Nominet members gave their opinions.

My draft views are available at www.notnominet.org.uk if anyone is interested.

The official info is available at http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/?contentId=2952

Hazel
www.NOTnominet.org.uk

Last edited:
Allowing expansion into registry services beyond the .uk has to be allowed to prevent Nominet being overtaken by events as new services such as ENUM emerge, it also enables Nominet's expertise to be applied in other countries and to impact on internet governance globally - something which in my view is good for Nominet and good for Britian.

That puts me in the position of supporting option 3, however as many of the responses so far have commented there's some pretty broad stuff in there and I don't think Nominet should be in the business of giving away charible donations, beyond perhaps free registration services to charities, or funding research on topics that are not directly related to its business or enguaging in consultancy outside of its key areas of operation / expertise - the new objects in all these areas need to be tightened up.

The .uk registration service should remain a top priority of Nominet and this should be reflected in its objects. We don't want a situation where Nominet becomes the registrar of choice worldwide for all sorts of new and emerging schemes and services and we're left in the .uk world dealing with an arcahic paper based system. The benifits from expansion have to be brought home to Nominet's core business.

The current memorandum is really clear and concise, I think that's something that's excellent and highly valuable and should not be lost when/if changes are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom