Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Contacting end users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
How many acorners actively seek out end users and what sort of success do you have.
Since the reseller market collapsed I've been contacting end users about domains get maybe a 10% response showing an interest or asking for a price but most companies think valuations beyond £100 are crazy how do you get round this.

If you're approaching end users, maybe consider proactively supplying a price in your initial email. That's one less hurdle for them to go through. Instead of forcing them to take action to find out if it's even theoretically feasible to buy the domain name (ask you for a price to see if it's affordable) you're boiling it down to a simple YES/NO decision.

How many acorners actively seek out end users and what sort of success do you have.
Since the reseller market collapsed I've been contacting end users about domains get maybe a 10% response showing an interest or asking for a price but most companies think valuations beyond £100 are crazy how do you get round this.

If something doesn't have a recognised retail price then anyone who doesn't want it may think it's overpriced.
But quite honestly some of the names that are being touted around at the moment make me cringe, and it only adds to the end user confusion on values.
So many people are currently divesting themselves of inferior domains that the market needs time to settle. It appears that any letters or words that went together justified registering a name and although that is also the case with .com's , having such a massive market the effects on that extension are not so transparent.

In my limited experience I've found contacting end users to be a waste of time, so now I don't bother.

But as said above, that is with very limited experience so id also be interested to hear if people have much luck with it + what kind of domains are you selling and for what kind of money.

My current thinking is that if the domains I have are any good I will have people coming to me (eventually at least) and I wont need to actively try and sell them, they will sell themselves.

My current thinking is that if the domains I have are any good I will have people coming to me (eventually at least) and I wont need to actively try and sell them, they will sell themselves.

If people don't know it is available to buy how are they going to find out?

Being passive and waiting for them to come to you may, once in a while work but you'll probably be waiting a v. long time for the phone call / email.

For the sake of a couple of hours work a week you could be pleasantly surprised in what it might reap.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

If people don't know it is available to buy how are they going to find out?

Because independently they've brainstormed & decided the domain would be an asset to them so they check the whois & contact you.

Being passive and waiting for them to come to you may, once in a while work but you'll probably be waiting a v. long time for the phone call / email.

For the sake of a couple of hours work a week you could be pleasantly surprised in what it might reap.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

I would guess how long you would be waiting would depend of the quality of the name and the broadness of it's appeal.

Personally what kind of domains have you been able to sell via contacting people & for what kind of prices?

Thanks Edwin I think to save time if I continue down this path then I will put a price upfront.

Looking through my list of domains harshly websaway most don't have end users I can contact and were registered to throw up thin affiliate sites these I'll just drop most likely now that Google hates them.
but there were a few that had end user potential as an example one of surname domains I picked up on the drop.
I contacted an number of companies who may be interested the .com is taken and developed so is not going to be available any time soon.

I got a very pleasant reply from a guy with the said surname saying he would be interested so I sent him over the price and he was genuinely shocked that anyone would pay more than £100 for a domain.
Public information about the company shows a book value in the millions so whilst they clearly don't need the name from a business point of view. They had no interest in owning their exact name even at what I considered my reasonable high xxx asking price

I got a very pleasant reply from a guy with the said surname saying he would be interested so I sent him over the price and he was genuinely shocked that anyone would pay more than £100 for a domain.
Public information about the company shows a book value in the millions so whilst they clearly don't need the name from a business point of view. They had no interest in owning their exact name even at what I considered my reasonable high xxx asking price
£100 or event ten times that amount is nothing compared to the cost of advertising - online or offline. A domain name is your permanent business card and it costs $10 every year to renew - peanuts. Not to mention that a quality, memorable domain will give you an edge against the competition.
PS: let me know if the above sales pitch helps sway one potential buyer :p

Unfortunately, few end users do get it. They are brainwashed by the so-called SEO teams and self-taught webdesign 'experts'. These guys have a vested interest in downplaying the value of domain names.

I have had some success seeking out end users, nothing large scale but a high xx and v low xxx. I think it is definitely worthwhile especially if you make a template with the right sales pitch, i dont understand the if the domains are good enough philosophy i mean who has a complete portfolio stuffed full of premiums?. Stave jobs once quoted “people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

i dont understand the if the domains are good enough philosophy i mean who has a complete portfolio stuffed full of premiums?. Stave jobs once quoted “people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

More than a few members on here have very envious portfolios.

Stave jobs once quoted “people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

I don't think that works at all for domains.

If you have to explain to someone why a domain is worth money then you will never get a very good price from them for it

Yes ofc they do and fair play to those who found the gold mine early. But i would still guess the majority of those that have any premiums also have a greater % of domains that may require some marketing.

Yes ofc they do and fair play to those who found the gold mine early. But i would still guess the majority of those that have any premiums also have a greater % of domains that may require some marketing.

If you have to explain to someone why a domain is worth money then you will never get a very good price from them for it

Not really if your sales pitch is good enough and you explain to them with facts or have a website which explains these facts, how a domain can really add value to there business/website, they maybe more willing to agree to a better price. Im still yet to understand all of this so will be taking on board what some of the experienced members have said.

I sold a caught domain for £500 to an end user this year, it was their business name, they had the hyphenated version domain. Not mega bucks but a nice return on the catch fee. What I think really helped was going through a broker who did all the legwork for me, they could back themselves up with their experience and image. It must have looked far more professional to the buyer than if they got an email from little old me. Food for thought, especially if you are dealing with businesses.

I've only recently started selling domains but have contacted businesses by email and phone, my only potential so far has come from someone who I contacted by phone and then followed up with an email. I also think Edwin made a good point about specifying a price in the email, could see it reducing the email trail and speeding up a decision.

I sold a caught domain for £500 to an end user this year, it was their business name, they had the hyphenated version domain. Not mega bucks but a nice return on the catch fee. What I think really helped was going through a broker who did all the legwork for me, they could back themselves up with their experience and image. It must have looked far more professional to the buyer than if they got an email from little old me. Food for thought, especially if you are dealing with businesses.

I would consider getting a broker for a few of my caught domains. But i don't see much information on where to find one.

Would avoid by email as I view it as spam.

Spam being, sending out emails that the recipient did not request or ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom