Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Domaining isn't Monopoly. Or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in the domain (accumulation) business a while and something struck me today, I domain the same way I used to play Monopoly.

I treat sets as a good thing (like my London name set). I have a few domains that I would never sell (generics or those with websites that the income is regular and in a niche). I really consider them like Park Lane and Mayfair.
If I could, I'd own everything, I never sell a domain or a property for less than I paid for it, and only consider developing when no other properties catch my eye. Both I treat as a game, up until recently where I'm questioning more of the decisions.

Sure Monopoly and domaining are both business, but I guess that there's an evolution I've gone through with them both being a game or a hobby, to understanding a little more about the business behind them (investments, opportunities, opportunity cost, resale value, income, development).

I think it's important with most things in life to be reflective every now and again. Domaining is no longer Monopoly for me - well at least I'm changing my strategy from how I used to play Monopoly. I now just need 1 or 2 sets with a few nice hotels and then I'll be happy! (I don't need the stations and the utilities).

How do you play Monopoly or domain? (yes I did turn it into a verb)

Mark Twain advised "Make your vocation your vacation" end quote.

If you enjoy what you do, call it what you want, a hobby, a business, a game, it doesn't matter, if it's rewarding, particularly financially rewarding, then I would keep doing what your doing and don't over analyse.

If you enjoy what you do, call it what you want, a hobby, a business, a game, it doesn't matter, if it's rewarding, particularly financially rewarding, then I would keep doing what your doing and don't over analyse.

Beautiful words

And as if by coincidence - This morning brought a very nice worded letter to my door mat, regarding a co.uk domain ( Yep the royal mail version) I can almost guarantee it will result in a sale. Of course I will try to maximise my return. But, nothing wrong in trying to balance things out either.

Just a working philosophy.

My previous comments about a stifled UK domain reselling system hold. If domain resellers don't comprehend the reasons why thats so. then I'm more sorry for them than the current 'capture' systems that brought it about..

And - Nope I don't see spending a further 20 minutes of my time as over-analysing. especially given the returns. ;) I probably spent double that time before buying/registering the domain in the first place

Last edited:
Prefer to be the game maker than the player? if you can work 24 hours 365 days a year then there is a demand... Its just then deciding your worth and how to achieve it and a good dash of blind ignorance helps ?

Having the time helps

But, Blind ignorance is for cats and rats - as road kill will tell you

I like the quote too but not everyone has the luxury of having a job that they love doing.

I think that most quotes describing this utopia that's at arms reach are from the mouths of people who have 'made it' (perhaps through hard work, though often through luck).

Last edited:
I like the quote too but not everyone has the luxury of having a job that they love doing.

I think that most quotes describing this utopia that's at arm's reach are from the mouth's of people who have 'made it' (perhaps through hard work, though often through luck).

I'm not rich, I'm not famous and by all counts and criteria I haven't 'made it', but I love my job. I know that this tends to be the view of those who are self-employed or those who have money or a partner's income to rely on (for the record those don't apply to me).

Life is far too short to spend so much of your time doing something boring or that you don't like. I've had crappy jobs in offices before that bored me to tears, and it was a hell of a long journey to get to a place I like with people and work I love, but looking back now it was so worth it.

Seriously, there's no reason why you can't have a job you enjoy. If you're prepared to make it happen it will. It shouldn't be a luxury, it should be a standard.

Having the time helps

But, Blind ignorance is for cats and rats - as road kill will tell you

Road kill is fight or flight syndrome or instinct not ignorance or self belief never meet a cat or rat that started an business yet :) although meets some muppets that run some ?

Seriously, there's no reason why you can't have a job you enjoy. If you're prepared to make it happen it will. It shouldn't be a luxury, it should be a standard.

I'm a teacher (NYC), middle school (13 year olds) and I've worked all over the city (last year Harlem, before that - south Bronx, my first year teaching was in Jamaica Queens).

The school I'm working at now is the only one I can imagine sending my kid too. I love teaching, engaging the kids and in some ways, by me turning my back on some of the tougher schools, I did find my utopia.

But it saddens me the state of education is what it is, and that I couldn't find my utopia in one of the 'tougher schools'...

Deep huh!

I'm a teacher (NYC), middle school (13 year olds) and I've worked all over the city (last year Harlem, before that - south Bronx, my first year teaching was in Jamaica Queens).

The school I'm working at now is the only one I can imagine sending my kid too. I love teaching, engaging the kids and in some ways, by me turning my back on some of the tougher schools, I did find my utopia.

But it saddens me the state of education is what it is, and that I couldn't find my utopia in one of the 'tougher schools'...

Deep huh!

That's fantastic.

Interesting. I thought you were based in the UK, especially with your choice of domains. Still nothing wrong with an "overseas interest" of course - I managed just fine from Tokyo for 15 years :)

Road kill is fight or flight syndrome or instinct not ignorance or self belief never meet a cat or rat that started an business yet :) although meets some muppets that run some ?

Oy you, I'm easily offended ;)

I consider myself very lucky (and privileged) that domains should have given me some additional cash and focus over the last few years. So something I'm doing is right - long may it continue, Is my wish

Last edited:
The whole domain business seems like a boat that set off a while ago and now everyone is doing it that boat is too far away to swim to.

I have 7 domains, all need developing but I am not sure I see the point, the uk market is stagnant, domains are too cheap, theres too many domains for sale.

This is the problem with comparing it to houses, theres x houses and y families, x=y. However the domain (x) and the people who need a domain (y); x^10>y

Also you have people like scott (selfmademinds) who have quit the domain business...you dont quit for no reason other than its not profitable/worth doing anymore, which points to it being a waste of time (to me anyway).
Fortunatly I have a physical business that supports me and the domain stuff so I dont get into a pickle financially when things dont go right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom