Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet changing WHOIS Opt-out on domains

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by devolution, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devolution

devolution Active Member

I've often used my online handle to register my domains, and IIRC, under UK Law I am entitled to use an alias.
    However, I have noticed that most of my domains which used to have the Opt-out have been changed to my full address details.

Not only is this a data protection issue, but a privacy issue too.

Any comments/similar experiences?

The other year, FartMart Inc.'s solicitors compelled Nominet to change my whois details so they could pester me regarding a name I used to hold.
    I believed that WHOIS details could only be released under COURT ORDER.

If I use a new alias, "Meldon Smythe" for example, is Nominet allowed to continue degrading my privacy rights? Or do I have to use my full legal name?

2. grantw United Kingdom

grantw Well-Known Member

3. rob

rob Founding Member

Transfers could become tricky.

I have heard on the grapevine of a couple of people registering under nicknames etc and Nominet not allowing transfers etc, if the person is totally fictional then it could be impossible.

4. bb99 United Kingdom

bb99 Well-Known Member

Do not register domain names in false names... I know from experience :)

I am curious though devolution - can you tell me more about being allowed to use an alias under UK law?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.