Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, I have a short .co.uk name which is a very cool name in its own right, it just also happens to be the name ( exact) of a global company with assets of £300 million. Using the wayback machine I discovered that this company used to own the name but let it drop in 2004. ( they trade using the .com of the same name)

I intend to offer the name to the company. My question is this, do I risk a legal challenge from them ? My own limited legal training says no as they voluntarily relinquished the name five years ago, the name is currently parked with no advertising reference to their business, what do you guys think ?

If it's their trademark then yes trouble, if it's generic and they use it to trade then you should be ok being the registrant of the domain but it could be seen as passing off if you approach them, if it's their trademark then I would stay clear but if a generic word then give it a try but use a subtle approach.

Thanks Doodlebug, the name ( as it is a short four letter name) is also the acronym for several other organisations, two of them in the U.K. It could be argued that these other organisations have just as much right as the major corporation I am talking about.

The company has a TM on the name in their business category. The company's HQ is on the Continent but their London operation turned over £62 million last year.

I am thinking of taking a chance and offering it to them for £2,000 if they take exception then I will hand it over to them.

Yet another example of the low importance that companies place on cctld domain names by letting the .co.uk drop.

I intend to offer the name to the company. My question is this, do I risk a legal challenge from them ? My own limited legal training says no as they voluntarily relinquished the name five years ago, the name is currently parked with no advertising reference to their business, what do you guys think ?

Here is my opinion. It is a very bad idea to approach them, as that is demonstrating a bad faith registration, i.e. you only regged it to sell to them.

Much better to put up a holding page as follows:

__

This domain is awaiting development.

You can contact the owner of the domain as follows:

*Give your contact details*
__

Make sure there are no other ads on the domain, as that can count against you. You can try and rank the holding page by getting links in, but don't mention anything on the page that could be used against you as abuse of trademark.

Then wait and hope that they contact you.

If were to you contact them and they are smart, they will just be able to argue bad faith registration in a Nominet DRS, and get the domain for the cost involved in that (approx £700 I think).

This is my opinion and not business or legal advice.

Feel free to PM me the name if you like.

Rgds

What makes you think they'll want it back if they let it drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom