Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

123-reg are shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought a name last week and transfered it into my nominet account, instantly changing the nameservers to 123-reg.

I then tried to transfer the name into my control panel at 123-reg, however, after being emailed saying it had been transfered successfully two days later it still wasn't in there.

So, on Saturday morning i opened a new support ticket asking why it wasn't showing in my account. On sunday morning (over 24 hours later) i recieved an update saying i would need to change the TAG to 123-reg. I explained it was already on 123-reg TAG. We went back and forth like this a couple of times and finally, after me emailing over a print screen of the whois and my nominet account, he emailed back saying the domain was in my account.

I checked my account and the domain wasn't in there! I emailed back explaining this and asked for an update. I recieved no update, despite asking 4 times over the next 48 hours.

Finally i lost my patience and asked for them to change the tag for all of my domains to fasthosts, i also asked for an email or postal address to send a written complaint. This message was replied to pretty quickly, however, not with an apology or an update, not an email saying how they would still like my custom, just an email outlining how to change the TAG for each domain in my control panel and their head office address!

TBH i didn't want it to go this far and it is going to be quite a hassle for me to change registars. So, i rang up their support line and explained exactly what had happened. I was given no apology for the lack of contact, but was told why the transfer hadn't happened - the previous owner still had it in an account with 123-reg, and in order for me to have it transfered i would need to fax them a utility bill to prove i was the owner! I explained that if they simply checked the whois or with nominet they could confirm i was the legal owner. The response i got was that the domain may have been transfered to me via nominet but not with 123-reg!

I can't believe they employ such muppets in their support team, how can someone offer domain technical support when they obviously don't know the process.

Sorry for such a long rant, but just had to get that out.

-Ben

Last edited:
Transfer away from them, now! They are awful with support issues!

Admin told me there's a way to change multiple tags with 123 at once, I'm told it's on one of the menus somewhere

Happens to me all the time with bought domains, it just takes 2 minutes of digging on thier part to see the whois and account details etc to see what's happening and do whats right. It's the lack of EndUsers ability to remove domains that doesn't help I think.

I had to send ID (bank statement) one after the other for 2 seperate domains the other week as 1 for both wasn't enough :(

Although I hate 123-reg for issues like the above, I do like their CP and compared to others - 1and1 to name just one company that slips even below 123-reg.

Chaps

Happens all the the time with 123-reg - if you TAG change a name away it still stays in their database and should an unfortunate person purchase a name some time later and transfer it back it goes into the previous owners account. Same happens with caught names.

About 18 months ago if you tried to transfer a name to 123-reg and it was still in their system you got a warning message before it told you to go and change the TAG. Now if you transfer a name in it accepts the transfer and tells you to change the TAG first and then afterwards advises that the name is already in someone elses account - really not good !

I've had a couple of clients who have in utter frustration had to pay the Nom £ 10.00 plus VAT TAG change fee and move to someone like Heartinternet.

Cheers

JohnP

Last edited:
Bensd, RUN RUN RUN RUN.

If you stay there you may as well have 1&1 as your host too, go whole hog.

still on 123? I am still slowly transfering away from them 1b1.

guess 123 was my beginner's mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom