Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

4d.co.uk

4d.co.uk

wasn't that the dns for tagnames?

are they selling up?

Are you auctioning off this domain on behalf of the owner, Andy Hugh, because I don't believe you are such person?!?!

Ian,

If you look at the site it looks like they dont own the domains they attempt to catch them and then auction them on the site...

So no they dont own the domains !

Ian,

If you look at the site it looks like they dont own the domains they attempt to catch them and then auction them on the site...

So no they dont own the domains !

I did think that (naturally!), but then thought surely no one would be that naive to advertise a domain they don't own, nor will! It seems they have thousands of .co.uk domains listed for auction that are in suspension, by most of us registrants/registrars, tut tut!

Last edited:
Hi Ian, no we don't. We auction the domain in the redemption grace period. Of course when the current owner renews his domain we deleted it from our auction. When the domain expires we try to register the domain for the highest bidder.

Hi Ian, no we don't. We auction the domain in the redemption grace period. Of course when the current owner renews his domain we deleted it from our auction. When the domain expires we try to register the domain for the highest bidder.
You cannot auction a domain during the grade period, as you don't own it, nor can you give a timescale; and sorry to say that unless you are already a prolific catcher in the UK, your chances of picking up a premium domain such as this are minute at best.

You cannot auction a domain during the grade period, as you don't own it, nor can you give a timescale; and sorry to say that unless you are already a prolific catcher in the UK, your chances of picking up a premium domain such as this are minute at best.

Any auction is pre bidding by their users for domain names that may be deleted by registries. They may choose to dedicate their unspecified available resources to acquiring such domain names if interest is demonstrated by their users. This is quite common in gTLDs. He did say "quarantined" which isn't a word we would normally use but I understood what he meant.

The "sorry to say that unless you are already a prolific catcher in the UK, your chances of picking up a premium domain such as this are minute at best." arguement you give is misleading. Many catching are simply leasing hosting services and the use of others coding skills, linking their DAC and EPP quotas to it. That's dead easy for anyone to do. It would also be easy for anyone already engaging in drop catching within other extensions to hack up something quickly to do it within .uk too. The more money someone is prepared to throw at it, the more likely they'll do better.

The OP is probably one of a number of existing services, that already pursue other extensions, now taking interest in *.uk as a result of zone file release.

Any auction is pre bidding by their users for domain names that may be deleted by registries. They may choose to dedicate their unspecified available resources to acquiring such domain names if interest is demonstrated by their users. This is quite common in gTLDs.

Is it common in gTLDs (my bolding)? I'm aware of it where the registries retain the rights to the domain if it is not renewed by the registrant, and hence are certain of their ability to sell it if the registrant does not renew, and have contracts with auctioneers for this situation. Does it happen where the auctioning body has no rights to the domain after the suspension period, but simply attempts to register it after it has dropped?

Is it common in gTLDs (my bolding)? I'm aware of it where the registries retain the rights to the domain if it is not renewed by the registrant, and hence are certain of their ability to sell it if the registrant does not renew, and have contracts with auctioneers for this situation. Does it happen where the auctioning body has no rights to the domain after the suspension period, but simply attempts to register it after it has dropped?

It certainly did do years ago. Perhaps less so now, if at all, since the introduction of RDP.

I don't believe what they are doing is much different to a *.uk back ordering service offering FCFS preorders on a potentially expiring *.uk for a fixed fee. They're allowing multiple customers to bid on the preorder for any domain name that may eventually be deleted, with the customer bidding the most being entitled to the domain name should they realise its eventual registration/acquisition. DomainLore have an advanced bids page. Is this much different?

DomainLore have an advanced bids page. Is this much different?

Understand everything you have said, but yes, this is very different because it has been posted as "Forums > UK Domain Names For Sale > Domain Name Auctions" - as soon as I saw it, I thought wow, Andy has put 4d.co.uk up for auction, let me take a look as I may be interested; only to find it being promoted as a maybe, subject to drop and subsequent catch (using fair enough, wording not commonly used in the UK - a language barrier issue perhaps, nothing more). As for the catching, this is true, doesn't take much, especially if experienced in using such methods for other extensions, but it would be a very confident person to assume they'd catch it, especially at the moment.

It's true that we are very new in the *.UK business, that's why I joined this forum to learn more about the UK market. Maybe it was not a good idea to post 4d.co.uk at the domain name auction page, it was not my intention to create false expectations. We are in the domain drop catching business for 3 years (pretty new) but we have achieved some great results with .NL, .BE and .EU. We are now testing *.UK and we see that a lot of domains are renewed and deleted from out auction, much more then in other TLD's. The tests we did with UK domains that were dropped were good enough for us to put it in BETA. We are now looking to expend our market in UK so we can do more tests and optimize our service and of course catch some domains. We are dedicated to the business and I'm open to questions and criticism to learn.

It's true that we are very new in the *.UK business, that's why I joined this forum to learn more about the UK market. Maybe it was not a good idea to post 4d.co.uk at the domain name auction page, it was not my intention to create false expectations. We are in the domain drop catching business for 3 years (pretty new) but we have achieved some great results with .NL, .BE and .EU. We are now testing *.UK and we see that a lot of domains are renewed and deleted from out auction, much more then in other TLD's. The tests we did with UK domains that were dropped were good enough for us to put it in BETA. We are now looking to expend our market in UK so we can do more tests and optimize our service and of course catch some domains. We are dedicated to the business and I'm open to questions and criticism to learn.

Fair play, all the very best to you. With time and knowledge you'll notice a pattern to those domains in suspension that don't drop, it is a regular method used by the tag holders to promote their domains and delay renewal payments (albeit illogical in my view). SIGNS/AHUGH is one such individual that leaves them until a day or two before the drop to renew, and many others do the same; most public catchers that have bookings for these tag holders tend not to chase, as it uses up valuable DAC quota for small odds.

Fair play, all the very best to you. With time and knowledge you'll notice a pattern to those domains in suspension that don't drop, it is a regular method used by the tag holders to promote their domains and delay renewal payments (albeit illogical in my view). SIGNS/AHUGH is one such individual that leaves them until a day or two before the drop to renew, and many others do the same; most public catchers that have bookings for these tag holders tend not to chase, as it uses up valuable DAC quota for small odds.

Thanks Ian-d, we also see the promotion of domains by renewal with other TLD's but for now in comparison to UK the renewal rate is very high. We are going to improve that in time, thanks for the tips.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom