Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Acquired movie site in cinemas now with thousands of links

Discussion in 'General Board' started by cerithomas, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerithomas United Kingdom

cerithomas Member

Hi,

This is a real strange one, not sure how to proceed...

Basically I have acquired the .co.uk domain for a major blockbuster movie that is in the cinemas right now in UK, not only this but the site has been linked to without being registered:

[​IMG]

All these links come from news sites, they must have been sent a media pack with these details but for whatever reason used the wrong url or the producers just didn't get around to setting up a site.

At present I have the site registered with a holding page, all anchor text is pointing to the url, no other anchors in place.

Any advice how to monetize this... I have a few thoughts, 1 being add a site and throw on domainlore as an auction but any other thoughts are welcome?

Maybe contact the film creators?

I intend to keep the url secret but rest assured it's legit, i've registered, wiped my eyes, copied url from browser into ahrefs, majesticseo etc and it's legit, shows no sites in archive.org/ snapshots.com and wouldn't as it's brand new... but definitely the links are pointing to this domain.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

If you contact the film studio you might end up losing the domain if/when they complain about it.

Personally, I'd build a quick site about the film. If people have been sent out media packs, the majority of them aren't going to link to it when they realise its a wrong url. So give them what they're looking for and try and get as much domain authority as possible. You can worry about what to do with it later, but I'd get this done asap as you don't have a large window of time to manage it :)

4. mrh United Kingdom

mrh Active Member

Make it into a fan site - make it clear its a fan site. Do not try and make money of it, no ads etc.

Later on 301 it or put a few out bound links on it

5. cerithomas United Kingdom

cerithomas Member

Thanks

Thanks guys, sound advice, I have created a legitimate looking fan site and added a link upon wikipedia to further boost appeal.

6. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

If you want to keep the url secret you should edit your first post.

I can't be bothered doing it but IMDB.com, a Majestic SEO account and a spare 30 minutes and you'd be able to work out exactly which current film you have from those link stats...

7. cerithomas United Kingdom

cerithomas Member

I'm hoping no one is that sad, the reality is the domain is registered, they would achieve nothing in doing that.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.