Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

beforeyouinsure.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice brandable name in my opinion. Brandables are the way forward it's a shame that not many members of Acorn and UK domainers in general recognise that yet it seems.

What's your definition of brandable. Is it that everything is brandable that hasn't already been branded ?

or is a brandable a name that can be defended from anything being confusingly similar ?

What's your definition of brandable. Is it that everything is brandable that hasn't already been branded ?

or is a brandable a name that can be defended from anything being confusingly similar ?

A brandable is a domain that stands out as being catchy, memorable and unique in the sense that it wouldn't be confused with something else.

A nice quote from a NP member (alien51)

These days, people are more concerned whether the domain/website is trustworthy. Like trustworthy enough to convince them to type-in their credit card and buy your merchandise.

A lot of "keyword-quality" domains nowadays, have been poisoned by low-quality content, parked by domainers, or even used for scams. And people these days who spend so much time on the internet, can now see the connection that when they type some keyword phrases on Google, and the domain that first shows up is like an "exact-match" domain, and what they get is poor content quality (if not scams), they tend to acquire a stigma against keyword domains.

But if it's a brandable domain, something that you can "remember" even while you're on a bus or eating in a restaurant, people tend to believe you are a serious merchandiser who is trying to protect a "brand". And if you are trying to protect a "brand", it comes with logic that you won't try to scam your customers, because you don't want your brand to be destroyed.

This is interesting and I think very well put. I came from a copywriting/branding background before I started in affiliate marketing so perhaps I see things other than just in terms of how keyword rich and built for seo/ppc a domain might be. That's not to say I wouldn't love a short, keyword domain in a great category first and foremost, but just that perhaps there are other markets out there too for domains. It's a different game though.

Explain this to me , You register beforeyouinsure.com not to develop but to sell ( I could understand if you were going to develop and had the financial resources to get it off the ground ) so who is going to buy it ? There are a million possibilities that are similar to this in various industries. You may be lucky and find a big insurance entity that it fits in with but buy a lottery ticket it's easier and has the same chance.
Not talking seo but the reason people like generics is because there is already inherent value in them, that can't be said for the subject domain.

A brandable is a domain that stands out as being catchy, memorable and unique in the sense that it wouldn't be confused with something else.

A nice quote from a NP member (alien51)

But I have to keep going back over this thread to remind myself of the exact format of the subject domain. If I seen it on the side of a bus ( I have to admit I am not a memory man ) I would not remember it five minutes later.
I know this is a very subjective area so definative answers are not expected.

Some people don't know or understand the different parameters that operate at dot com level. I've tried to explain some of the fundamentals before, but it falls on deaf ears for those looking for 'exacts' or only know the uk market.

The domain "BeforeYouInsure.com' has legs in .com And of course It wouldn't even rise above ground ZERO as a .co.uk.

To say that 'Brand' is used to heap a whole pile of shit together demonstrates a certain naivety in what is a very profitable Global market.

I can't begin to tell you how much it pleases me to know that most domainers have no idea how to put . Product and Marketing together (I accept that 'Branding' on the whole hasn't had much ground or history to build on in the .co.UK domain market)
I’ve lost count of the number of domains that fall into no other category that are then marketed as with “brand potential “ its not naivety there are millions of registration banded around as brand but not millions of brand opportunities every year saying it is doesn’t make it one?
Its no good creating a brand just to have others steal all your thunder, vast leakage or unwanted associations and if it doesn’t really standalone and have the ability to stop it your on an uphill battle to start.

Branding is obviously used more in com but that’s simply down to the market size? ( big fish small pond .uk ) the proof is if its taken and used as one, Its really no good being an also ran ? I personally just see to many unticked boxes and gaps with this particular name I hope the seller can indeed do well with it guess only time and a few millions investment can tell for sure.

Well aware of the com market I’m certainly not of the it has to only be a generic, emd, search volume view on names either? If it ticks your boxes go on make an offer you know you want to :) Just because a name starts a debate that don't mean its great :D

Last edited:
I'd be interested if anyone could place a value on the domain beforeyouinsure.com

I thought it was quite brandable for an insurance comparison type site or blog. I'm new to domaining, have sold perhaps only 10 domains (average for about £500 so just getting started really, any thoughts on this domain are most welcome!)

By reading the posts in this thread you will see what a subjective issue the whole name business is, and if it wasn’t then it would not have developed as it has with the enormous opportunities past and present that have evolved as a result. One thing to remember is people don’t readily agree with genius
( though that’s not in the least bit helpful I know )

Explain this to me , You register beforeyouinsure.com not to develop but to sell ( I could understand if you were going to develop and had the financial resources to get it off the ground ) so who is going to buy it ? There are a million possibilities that are similar to this in various industries. You may be lucky and find a big insurance entity that it fits in with but buy a lottery ticket it's easier and has the same chance.
Not talking seo but the reason people like generics is because there is already inherent value in them, that can't be said for the subject domain.

You've got the wrong end of the stick. Just to clarify, as I mentioned in this thread, I registered it originally not to sell it but to develop an affiliate insurance blog/forum then when I started looking at the market properly I realised I have zero knowledge of insurance, no competitive advantage and thus am completely the wrong person to do the project. :grin:

But "if" I was an insurance broker I might be well placed to create a great niche info site and get a little bit of traffic in that high paying sector.

Anyway, bottom line is I'm not a broker, so I ditched the idea, am left with what I thought was quite a nice domain and wondered if anyone else liked it. And that brings us up to date.

But I have to keep going back over this thread to remind myself of the exact format of the subject domain. If I seen it on the side of a bus ( I have to admit I am not a memory man ) I would not remember it five minutes later.
I know this is a very subjective area so definative answers are not expected.

Well then I guess you don't rate it as a brandable domain. Fair enough. Personally I find it quite easy to remember but as you say, it's a bit subjective.

Some people don't know or understand the different parameters that operate at dot com level. I've tried to explain some of the fundamentals before, but it falls on deaf ears for those looking for 'exacts' or only know the uk market.

The domain "BeforeYouInsure.com' has legs in .com And of course It wouldn't even rise above ground ZERO as a .co.uk.

To say that 'Brand' is used to heap a whole pile of shit together demonstrates a certain naivety in what is a very profitable Global market.

I can't begin to tell you how much it pleases me to know that most domainers have no idea how to put . Product and Marketing together (I accept that 'Branding' on the whole hasn't had much ground or history to build on in the .co.UK domain market)

You may be right, but I believe this is "Domain Appraisal" and even the domain name has a good project potential, why would you pay tons for this domain, if:
BeforeInsuring.com is available.
You can find an other option for reg fee?
When the OP develop the domain in a nice "insurance company compare" or any other project, it's another story.

Well then I guess you don't rate it as a brandable domain. Fair enough. Personally I find it quite easy to remember but as you say, it's a bit subjective.

I think some members will agree with me when I say you have to be careful how you view domains you've had for a while. You naturally become very familiar with them and then it's as if they are already a brand. Though that's not always a bad thing if you can communicate your feelings enthusiastically to a potential end user. If you are presenting a domain to a rich end user though you need, I believe, to be wielding a good one.

I hope you don't think my comments are meant to be argumentative, I am only sharing my thoughts.

Just as a final input on this thread.

If you don't understand or comprehend the difference between the domains so far offered as alternatives to "BeforeYouInsure, then please do stick to your own area of expertise.

You have to understand how marketing minds work. And It's not everyones cup-of-tea. I will agree you need to hold (and top-up as required) at least several hundred domains of this ilk to see a reasonable ongoing income stream

I think some members will agree with me when I say you have to be careful how you view domains you've had for a while. You naturally become very familiar with them and then it's as if they are already a brand.

I totally accept that point, important to make sure you don't fall in love with a domain if you want to retain an independent view of it. In this case I genuinely do find it easy to remember the name BeforeYouInsure - I've registered names before which seemed great at the time and a day later I can't remember them, so I do hear what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts