Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Best way to sell ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As far as selling domain names ...
What's the best way to go?

Currently I am running about 40 listings on my EBAY store to determine if this is the way to go? Time will tell.

Just curious what others have been successful with?

eBay does not have a particularly good rep for domain name sales.

Some things of value:
- Build your own site.
- Blog about your names.
- Actively market them to end users (letters/e-mails/forum posts).
- Use the various marketplaces such as Sedo.

Rgds

If you are going to list them for sale on this site, a buying price is always much better than "make me an offer"

You will get a better response

Thanks for the response.

Self-Marketing seems to be the consensus ..

For years I have sat on premium domain names with little or no marketing.
But not anymore !

- Actively market them to end users (letters/e-mails/forum posts).

When contacting possible end user companies by post, who should the letter be sent to, any particular department at their head office?

When contacting possible end user companies by post, who should the letter be sent to, any particular department at their head office?

It's not something I've ever done myself (yet), but I would say for larger companies, the marketing department. If you can phone first to get a name of an individual that might help, then send the letter to them, as then they are more likely to open it themselves rather than an assistant.

For smaller companies, find out the name of one of the directors and send it to them.

Just my guess.

Rgds

2 examples

iFiremen.com (GoDaddy certified appraised at $14,000)
GoCrack.com (GoDaddy certified appraised at $380)

Where's the best place to sell these?

I actually have 100's more but let's start here

Are the two above your best ones?

I wouldn't take the GoDaddy appraisal as a realistic valuation. The two above have no search volume and more importantly no commerciability. I would honestly value these at $0.

Dave I know where your going and I do have these as well

BestRateVisa.com
BestRateMastercard.COM
or
HomeRefinanceOptions.com
GetFastHosting.com

I try to blend a portfolio with good CPC and Search Volume as well as names that have potential! Loads of Websites started with a name with no search volume at the time. I think most domain hunters are too focused one or the other.

I have not formed an opinion on one or the other, but do know your point.
Thanks

odd ? I posted a reply to this in the am but it never took?

anyway so here was my point ...
Domainers can either go for the high traffic names/keywords
or they can be visionary's and spot potential
(I also have some high traffic and CPC sites as well)

I tend to do both when selecting names.
I believe both can have good payouts.

2 examples

iFiremen.com (GoDaddy certified appraised at $14,000)
GoCrack.com (GoDaddy certified appraised at $380)

Where's the best place to sell these?

I actually have 100's more but let's start here

i take it you paid good money for an appraisal?,the thing is if you paid a company £20 for an appraisal and they come back and said it's worth £10 then you are going to be a little upset,you will email the company and said you charged me £20 and said it's current value is £10.aaahhh,it is in there best interests to appraise the domain high,imo i don't think your domains are premium,but good luck with them and there is a very honest appraisal section on acorn.

mark

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually not upset about the appraisal as I REALLY wanted to know what someone else thought of it's worth.

I also have seem a lot of bozo's out there claiming to want to buy names, but require an appraisal first. Usually several hundred dollars, and then they will not buy. There scam is to lure people into buying appraisals with no intent to ever buy (only drive traffic to their bogus appriasal service)

I thought the name iFiremen had a lot of potential as a fire fighter site, but now given the economy, it could also serve as a company that coordinates company layoffs.

Thanks

The problem is, most domain name sellers don't have a clue about how to get their domain name in front of large corporations. They nearly always get shot down by a gate keeper (secretary, receptionist, pa etc) who tells them, "I'm sorry, Mr. Company isn't interested. But thank you for thinking of us."
To successfully do an "end-around" and eliminate resistance from the gate keeper use a Letter-Call-Follow Up sequence, send a brief letter addressed directly to the high level executive. Explain the value of the web name/ website to the corporation and back it up with sales records, marketing research, e.g. growth of internet use among there target customers, what there competition does by the way of web sales etc etc . If you don't have all of these, use as many as you can. beacase the more info you can send to back up your name the easier it is to sell

If you can demonstrate a value to the corporation that having the domain name will bring to them they will buy the domain . executives etc are charged with keeping the company profitable and increasing the value of the company's stock to its shareholders. They are more than happy to hear about websites / names that will help them achieve these goals. Don't just send an "I have a domain name that I thought would go with your company" type letter show them the potentail sales there losing they will see the £££ the sales a doddle

There are lots of people who registered names as the outlay is so small think they are worth a fortune but they are not unless you can sell them....

Last edited:
agreed ... with no buyer ... a domain is essentially worthless.
The art of matching seller to buyer is key here.

I do not claim to be an expert in this space, hence the ? I posted.

Actually If I could find and expert middleman, I'd likely pay them to do this job. I feel my prowse is finding the names ... it's the selling I find to be more difficult. :)

As far as selling domain names ...
What's the best way to go?

Currently I am running about 40 listings on my EBAY store to determine if this is the way to go? Time will tell.

Just curious what others have been successful with?

Any luck with ebay then ?
Did you have them with a reserve ?

RE: EBAY

A little slow at the start ... but I actually anticipated this to start.

Running some more listings this weekend on my EBAY store, so hopefully business will pick up :)

(see my homepage)

..... it has just occurred to me that the best way to sell domain names is to make sure you register really good ones in the first place. Good domains sell themselves.

Rgds

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom