Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

BRILLIANT article by Ty on short domain auctions

Status
Not open for further replies.
* Off Topic *

Frank, please let me know if everything was well received, I have not received a response via PM or email.

Sorry ! I didn't reply to your PM on here but I did send an email etc

Everything is fine - no problems at all :)

Thanks for posting. Will certainly have a good look through tomorrow and post a few thoughts

thanks for taking the time Ty to do that
will keep checking back as interesting as and when updated

Cheers pred - I must admit to still struggling with the UK space

The .co.uk's raised £2,725,000. at an average of £4,918 each.

Only thing I would say is that Google may not have been in the bidding top start with.

I know it said Google, but the way the system was set up, you had your correct details to register the name with Nom, you then got a ticket to the auction site. When you registered with the auction site, you merely had to choose a name to display.

Whilst some will have used their own name, it wouldn't surprise me if someone was using Google as a bidding name to scare others off.

I know for a fact it went off on other names in this auction, can't be sure on this but would be surprised if Google let themselves get outbid. My bet is that they weren't even in it to start with, for whatever reasons.

2 quotes that make me smile

'domain name guru' :D lol

and 'hancock's list' :) lol

can't be sure on this but would be surprised if Google let themselves get outbid. My bet is that they weren't even in it to start with, for whatever reasons.

What legitimate "whatever reasons" would those actually be, do you think? I think Google, or the representative bidding on their behalf, probably had a ceiling and the current registrant pushed beyond it. Several years ago Google expressed an interest in acquiring "gmail.co.uk" but couldn't agree a figure with the then registrant, therefore they decided to brand as googlemail.com in the UK. It didn't bother them. Several years later they agreed a figure and acquired the domain name. The previous Registrant probably wasn't going to get a better offer given everyone knew Google had tried and failed to agree a figure with them. Who else would want to spend £75k on g.co.uk?

interesting to look through again
giant games obviously went for the bargain basement ones :D

still some prices to be added for last ones
all registrants seem to be there

se.co.uk data is not there
XYZ Invest LLC seem to have got that too
updated yesterday in whois

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

Sponsors

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Sponsors

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Shiny Nuts