Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Building sites like a stack of cards

Discussion in 'Mini Sites' started by popupbloke, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popupbloke

popupbloke Active Member

Me again, trying to quickly wear out my welcome;)

So I have a hosting account with unlimited everything.
    in that master account I have a number of folders.
    Each folder contains one wordpress site.
    Each site is forwarded to by a different domain name.

The questions are, is this an okay way to build a stack of sites? Your thoughts?

And if so, will the whole thing come tumbling down the Goog ranks if the master domain name is sold/changed at a later date and all domains forwarded to a new master account?

I'd be interested to know what you think.

Cheers.
    Dave. Popupbloke.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. accelerator United Kingdom

accelerator Well-Known Member

Dave

Here is some advice for you. It is better to have three sites that rank between positions one and three on Google for your targetted keyphrase, than to have three hundred sites that rank nowhere.

Rgds

4. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Well-Known Member

I'd be very cautious of putting lots of sites on an "unlimited everything" plan, there's no physical hardware system that can offer unlimited resource and these plans tend to attract newbies who think they can host unlimited sites and all of a sudden your sites will suffer performance issues when the box dies from overloading.

As for the potential for selling on a site, it is much easier to have a reseller plan and have each site in a self contained account which you can transfer easily to another host when you sell.

5. WaftyCrank United Kingdom

WaftyCrank Active Member

6. popupbloke

popupbloke Active Member

Thanks people.

Accelerator: Level-headed and honest advice as always:cool: . I have read posts on the pound-a-day thread that suggests some people do indeed churn out sites at a great rate and only expects small but regular returns on each.

Another mode of thinking is as you suggested, a few good sites with hopefully higher return.

I will be subscribing to your school of thoughts and working at one or two sites for the next few months to get my bearings. I know that big G want quality, dynamic and user-centric sites & rank these higher, so that's what I'll aim for.

monaghan: Thanks for the advice, I see what you mean, that's a definite path for the future if I ever have something woth selling.

WaftyCrank: I'll check 'em out. Thanks for posting.

Cheers all,
    Dave.Popupbloke.

7. Frog

Frog Active Member

So for a tenner a month, I get an account where I can sell hosting packages to an unlimited number of people, who in turn can each use as much space and bandwidth as they like?

I can see that ending in tears :D

8. retired_member18

retired_member18 Banned

Heart Internet offers this unlimited package for £30 per month.

They're a respected host. I've got around 60 websites hosted with them at the moment, and I'm always adding more, never had any problems.

9. There's no such thing as unlimited. Say there hard drives are 4TB, and I upload 5TB of files...uh oh.

10. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

My comments certainly aren't specific to the company mentioned because I know nothing about them, but I'd be wary of any cheap hosting service that tries to pass itself off as the holy grail. If your needs aren't excessive they might be alright though. Bluehost are pretty good.

11. philipp United Kingdom

philipp Active Member

I had the same package from Heart Internet, until one day they erroneously considered that I was sending spam and killed my hosting without warning. After numerous phone calls and emails I eventually got a grudging apology from their engineers, it turned out that they had misread headers on mail coming from a malicious source.

They were completely unsympathetic, and didn't give a damn about getting my service up and running again. In fact it was such an unpleasant experience dealing with them that I cancelled my account despite being offered a free month's service.

Don't bother with Heart Internet, they're not worth the hassle when things go wrong.

Cheers,

P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.