Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Buying domains from the official receiver

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by TallBloke, Mar 31, 2016.

1. TallBloke

TallBloke Active Member

I've got an agreement with an official receiver to purchase some domain names registered to a liquidated company (UK).

On the assumption that usernames and passwords for the relevant registrars / Nominet aren't available, how do I go about getting transfers of the domains started?

I presume Nominet Support can assist with the .uk but how do you deal with .com names?

John

2. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

With respect to *.uk domain names registered to a liquidated company please avail yourself of 7.1 and 10.4 within the Terms and Conditions of Domain Name Registration. If the company has been liquidated there is no procedure to transfer the domain names. According to the terms they will be cancelled. gTLDs such as .com may depend on the T&Cs of the ICANN Registrar the domain names are registered with.

3. TallBloke

TallBloke Active Member

Thanks and apologies... I should have said that the company is question is being liquidated but as yet hasn't been.

4. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Okay. :) You should contact the Nominet Registrars and discuss it with them, or alternatively with Nominet (the registry). These companies are going to require evidence of the validity of your acquisition so instructing a solicitor to write up your correspondence including proof from the liquidator may ultimately be the way forward. What is acceptable to each registrar or a registry may differ. Please let us know how you get on after you've enquired. :)

5. ian

ian Well-Known Member

I thought this was regarding .com's, not .uk's which is why I've not shed any light. If the owning company of a .uk domain is in liquidation (or administration), the company representing them can apply to Nominet with documentary evidence to have the domain transferred into their name, or to reset the access details with a new email/password, or request transfer to a new owner.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TallBloke

TallBloke Active Member

Thanks for the useful replies.

There's a mix of .uk, .com and .net.

7. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say well done on coming to an agreement

From my experience finding the right people to talk to and then coming to an agreement is impossible, tthey're very hard to deal with.

As Ian said I believe they have to send some documentation to Nominet, best to talk to Nominet first and clarify exactly what needs to be passed on to them

8. TallBloke

TallBloke Active Member

It's taken so long!

9. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Do you mind sharing which receiver ?

My experience is, it would be easier to flap my arms and fly :/ be nice to know which company there is a possibility of getting a deal done with.

10. TallBloke

TallBloke Active Member

It's with the Insolvency Service in London. Has been going on for months now and my expectations of a successful outcome are low.

I've tried to contact accountancy companies handling an insolvency a handful of times and I've got nowhere fast.

11. spiderspider

spiderspider Active Member

Is half the problem the fact that they have nothing tangible, or easy to access?

When a company goes under, they can lock all the bank accounts, secure the stock in the warehouse, close the offices down and all, but do the receivers / liquidators have the knowledge / power to seize the domains as well?

12. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

From my experience with asking, they never seem to know about them

I would guess that a lot of domains that should go to them get whisked away by company directors and it isn't noticed.