Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

buying domains on ebay - NEVER AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
ive been shafted twice now by d*******s on ebay who don't understand the f*****g concept on how domain names are transferred (.co.uk)

bought 1 just after xmas, enchantments.co.uk. seller had on a 99p start and i got it for a tenner. after 7 EMAILS he finally changed the IPS tag for me. But after I sent him an email asking him complete the attached Nominet transfer form, he disappered. 2 weeks later I started a complaint within ebays system, which notified him that I wasn't happy.

Next thing I know, was that I get an email from the seller, saying "Do you really think you are going to get your forms now?", no name, just that. 2 minutes later, 138 emails from a website which promotes email lists, he f*****g spammed my email address.

Seller then requested the transfer form in .doc format, cos he couldnt be arsed to downlaod adobe (to which I pointed out was free)

still waiting, ebay haven't responded to my emails, they are useless. can i go to nominet about this?

So, just when i thought that it was a one off experience, i bought radioark.co.uk/radio-ark.co.uk of ebay last week. It has history, so for a tenner, yes a tenner i thought it was worth a punt. Paid via paypal and seller changed the tag.

This morning I have come to work, and recieve an email from the seller saying that he has refunded my PayPal payment as he can no longer complete the transaction. I even paid an extra 60p to cover the cost of postage for him to transfer the 2 .co.uk to me!

I have emailed him back this morning asking why, and saying that I now have control over the names. Can I go to Nominet about this?

I bought both names fair and square and paid for them using PayPal. I presume that the seller of radioark must of had a better offer after the sale had ended, what are my standings legally with Nom on this?

I have bought other names off ebay before (from firestars, fc domains) who of course know what they are doing. But this little episode has made me think about doing it again.

DON'T BUY DOMAINS OFF EBAY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE BUYING FROM!!!!

Any help/advice whould be much appreciated!

cheers
Justin

You've got the address, pay a visit and chin him or do the sensible thing and go to the small claims court and get what you now own into your possession correctly. Small claims court is the best option. And sue ebay as well, these big companies don't half get worried over little things like being sued.

Cheers
Lee

And sue ebay as well, these big companies don't half get worried over little things like being sued.
I am quite sure they have deeper pockets than the likes of me and you.
eBay always have the usual get out clause of "we are just a venue, its not our fault, etc"

Small claims court - www.moneyclaim.gov.uk is the best bet.

you could try to drs them.

i am not sure if it would work in this case, but can do.

you just need to word the drs right, so they dont reject it :)

hunts!

dont get me started on ebay!

i will never sell a domain again - to many newbs who dont understand the transfer.

ive had payment but cant transfer becuse the mong wont give his details and has dissapeared of the face of the earth - and you cant moan or u risk getting neg feedback over £20!

its almost like being held to ransom..

thanks all for your replies, decided to do the small claims court thing.

well, first I am going to send a recorded letter to them telling them that if they do not complete the forms and post them back to me I will go to small claims court...................

i4v - I actually emailed ebay to ask them to put a message on the screen that when someone submits a new advert for a .co.uk, the message tells them about how a .co.uk transfer is done and how much it costs.

I heard nothing from them

but there again should i really expect a response from them when they are a multi million dollar company..............nah dont think so

i will let u know wot happens

cheers again

Justin

This is a Nominet problem, why the hell can't it be as easy as a .com. Nominet continues to make it difficult so it can fleece us for more cash!!! £11.75 for an e-mail to say we have changed your name!!!

Oh thank you nominet we are so greatfull!!! Tell me again why we put up with this??

I'm dealing with an ebay muppet now, says he has sold nearly 200 and never had to do any paperwork!!! God help the 200!!

Hey numptynet thats £2350 your missing!!!

I'm just going to let it go...I really don't need it...pass me a drink...

send the boyz round.....

find out the address and pay a surprise visit. Stand in the doorway with your nominet forms and "half brick 'arry", "kneecap O'Neil" and ask politely...

I find this approach never fails.

geez all that to transfer .co.uk you just change the tag.. thats all.. surely..

suppose different registars etc..

changing the tag does not change the legal owner.

you have to fill out all the paperwork and pay nominet to change it.

if you dont.. you dont own the name.. plan and simple.
:)

Don't say that, just don't say that PLEASE...I can't take much more of it...

This is really a Nominet problem isnt it...it is really...and we except it because? Do you remember a time when for a .com there was only Network Solutions? Maybe oneday we will say do you remember when there was only Numptynet...GOD those were the days...all that stupid paperwork, AND those charges!!!

Don't say that, just don't say that PLEASE...I can't take much more of it...

This is really a Nominet problem isnt it...it is really...and we except it because? Do you remember a time when for a .com there was only Network Solutions? Maybe oneday we will say do you remember when there was only Numptynet...GOD those were the days...all that stupid paperwork, AND those charges!!!

The problem is not Nominet. The problem is the sellers who can't be bothered to fill in a simple form. It's not complicated!

Also, the problem is not that there is only Nominet. Anyone can become a member and use their votes to change things.

The problem is not Nominet. The problem is the sellers who can't be bothered to fill in a simple form. It's not complicated!

Also, the problem is not that there is only Nominet. Anyone can become a member and use their votes to change things.

Oh I agree completely...im used to taking it up the *** from them...give me more Nominet :) THNQ

Can someone PM me or paste a link on the steps of a co.uk sale.

Everything you need to do is documented on the transfer section of Nominet's web site (right here). Personally I think the fact that there's an auditable paper trail involved more than makes up for the hassle, and I hope it doesn't change any time soon.

Regards,

P.

well!

Thats the problem with ebay and they neva bother about it but personally i think they suppose to make some rules on domain sales.

According to ebay rules bidding/sale on ebay is a contract between buyer and seller and once any item sold it can only be cancelled once buyer and seller both agreed not to complete the sale.

in this case when seller change the mind after selling domain m sure he neva got a good repo on ebay (you can chk this with his feedback comments)

1st thing is when gona leave feedback for him write everything in detail at least future buyers aware from him.

Unfortunately ebay cant do anything apart from give ur money back, i know its bad and they suppose to take some legal action against sellers like him to save others.

Well i dont think its Nominet fault because whatever transfer process is , seller should know before hand.

Court is the best option at least he know he did wrong.

Now if you ask me what i will do in ur case, i will take the address of the seller and if its not too far from me then i will visit him with some friends and ................. at least he neva do this again with any1 else.

keep updating us whats you did/doing/results etc.

Good luk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom